Evaluating A Double Integral over a Rectangle

In summary, Homework Statement:Evaluate the rectangle bounded by x - y = 0, x - y = 2, x + y = 0, and x + y = 3.
TranscendArcu

Homework Statement

Let R be the rectangle bounded by x - y = 0, x - y = 2, x + y = 0, and x + y = 3. Evaluate

[itex]\int[/itex][itex]\int[/itex](x + y)ex2-y2dA
R

The Attempt at a Solution

First I rewrote the boundaries so that I could graph them more easily. I got y = x, y = x - 2, y= -x, and y = -x + 3. I was going to then integrate

[itex]\int[/itex](-1≤y≤0)[itex]\int[/itex](-y≤x≤y+2) ((x + y)ex2-y2) dx dy, and add that to,

[itex]\int[/itex](0≤y≤[itex]\frac{3}{2}[/itex])[itex]\int[/itex](y≤x≤-y+3) ((x + y)ex2-y2) dx dy

But then I realized I didn't even know how to integrate (x + y)ex2-y2. This leads me to believe I'm trying to do the wrong thing here. Suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is begging for you to do the change of variables u=x+y, v=x-y.

Okay. But why should I let v = x - y instead of v = x^2 - y^2?

TranscendArcu said:
Okay. But why should I let v = x - y instead of v = x^2 - y^2?

If you try it you'll see why it's a nice choice. One good reason is that you are given the limits in terms x+y and x-y. Factor x^2-y^2.

Okay. Supposing I let x=x+y and v=x-y, then I find that x = (u+v)/2 and y = (u-v)/2.

I think I need to find the Jacobian of this so,

J(u,v) = [x_u x_v]
*******[y_u y_v] (Excuse the ***; I don't know how to correctly format matrices).

I find this to be,

[1/2 1/2]
[1/2 -1/2].

And the absolute value determinant of this is 1/2.

But how do I go about finding new bounds to integrate over?

TranscendArcu said:
Okay. Supposing I let x=x+y and v=x-y, then I find that x = (u+v)/2 and y = (u-v)/2.

I think I need to find the Jacobian of this so,

J(u,v) = [x_u x_v]
*******[y_u y_v] (Excuse the ***; I don't know how to correctly format matrices).

I find this to be,

[1/2 1/2]
[1/2 -1/2].

And the absolute value determinant of this is 1/2.

But how do I go about finding new bounds to integrate over?

Did you look at the bounds? "bounded by x - y = 0, x - y = 2, x + y = 0, and x + y = 3"? I think that's really easy to translate into u and v.

Do I just plug in? If so, I get v=0 and v=2, and u=0 and u=3. This leads me to believe I can just integrate over a rectangle.

So I have the double integral from u=0 to u=3 and from v=0 to v=2 of (u)e^(vu) dv du. I multiply this by 1/2 because of the Jacobian I calculated earlier.

By "Q-substitution" (since I can't use "u" anymore) I will integrate with respect to Q, where Q=uv. This gives e^(uv)/2 evaluated from v=0 to v=2. So I have,

e^(2u)/2 - 1/2,

which I integrate with respect to u from 0 to 3. This gives

e^(6)/4 - 5/4

Look about right?

TranscendArcu said:
Do I just plug in? If so, I get v=0 and v=2, and u=0 and u=3. This leads me to believe I can just integrate over a rectangle.

So I have the double integral from u=0 to u=3 and from v=0 to v=2 of (u)e^(vu) dv du. I multiply this by 1/2 because of the Jacobian I calculated earlier.

By "Q-substitution" (since I can't use "u" anymore) I will integrate with respect to Q, where Q=uv. This gives e^(uv)/2 evaluated from v=0 to v=2. So I have,

e^(2u)/2 - 1/2,

which I integrate with respect to u from 0 to 3. This gives

e^(6)/4 - 5/4

Look about right?

It's 'about' right. I don't think you did the u integration quite right. Check it again.

Whoops, I meant to type e^(6)/4 - 7/4. How's that?

TranscendArcu said:
Whoops, I meant to type e^(6)/4 - 7/4. How's that?

That's much better. At least that's what I get. You might notice that you lucked out by picking the order of integration to be first dv and then du. If you'd done it the other way around, it would look impossible. You can sometimes get what looks like an awful integral which gets a lot simpler if you reverse the order of integration. Just file that for future reference.

1. What is a double integral over a rectangle?

A double integral over a rectangle is a mathematical concept used to find the volume or area between a function and a rectangle on a two-dimensional plane. It involves integrating a function over both the x and y variables within the boundaries of the rectangle.

2. How do you set up a double integral over a rectangle?

To set up a double integral over a rectangle, you must first identify the boundaries of the rectangle in terms of x and y. These boundaries will be the limits of integration for the two variables. Then, you must determine which function you are integrating and set up the correct integral expression based on the type of double integral (i.e. iterated or double).

3. What is the purpose of evaluating a double integral over a rectangle?

The purpose of evaluating a double integral over a rectangle is to find the volume or area between a function and a rectangular region. This can be useful in various areas of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics, where calculating volumes or areas is important for understanding and solving problems.

4. What are some techniques for evaluating a double integral over a rectangle?

Some techniques for evaluating a double integral over a rectangle include using Fubini's theorem, which allows you to switch the order of integration, and using change of variables, where you substitute new variables in place of x and y to simplify the integral. You can also use geometric interpretations and symmetry to make the evaluation easier.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when evaluating a double integral over a rectangle?

Some common mistakes to avoid when evaluating a double integral over a rectangle include forgetting to set up the correct limits of integration, mixing up the order of integration, and not accounting for any necessary transformations or conversions (such as changing from polar to rectangular coordinates). It is also important to check for symmetry and use the correct integrand for the given function and rectangle boundaries.