Evaluating a sum by Abel's Thm

• Thread starter benorin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sum
In summary, we have used Abel's theorem to evaluate the sum \sum_{k=n}^{\infty} \left(\begin{array}{c}k\\n\end{array}\right) \frac{(-1)^k}{k+1} and arrived at the identity \sum_{k=n}^{\infty}\left(\begin{array}{c}k\\n\end{array}\right) \frac{(-1)^{k}}{k+1} = \lim_{x\rightarrow 1^-} \int_{z=0}^{x}\left( \frac{-z}{1+z}\right) ^{n}\frac{dz}{1+z}, which was
benorin
Homework Helper
Insights Author
I wish to evaluate the sum

[tex]\sum_{k=n}^{\infty} \left(\begin{array}{c}k\\n\end{array}\right) \frac{(-1)^k}{k+1}[/tex]

I think I can use Abel's theorem... just read: for |z|<1, we have

[tex]\frac{1}{1+z}\left( \frac{z}{1+z}\right) ^{n} = z^n\frac{1}{(1+z)^{n+1}} = (-1)^n\frac{z^n}{n!}\frac{d^n}{dz^n} \left( \frac{1}{1+z}\right) [/tex]
[tex]= (-1)^n\frac{z^n}{n!}\frac{d^n}{dz^n} \left( \sum_{k=0}^{\infty}(-1)^{k}z^{k} \right) = (-1)^n\frac{z^n}{n!}\sum_{k=n}^{\infty}(-1)^{k}\frac{k!}{(k-n)!}z^{k-n} = \sum_{k=n}^{\infty}(-1)^{n+k}\left(\begin{array}{c}k\\n\end{array}\right) z^{k} [/tex]

here obtained is the identity

[tex]\frac{1}{1+z}\left( \frac{z}{1+z}\right) ^{n} = \sum_{k=n}^{\infty}(-1)^{n+k}\left(\begin{array}{c}k\\n\end{array}\right) z^{k} [/tex]​

valid for |z|<1. Suppose that 0<x<1 and multiply the above identity by [tex](-1)^n[/tex] and then integrate over (0,x) to arrive at

[tex]\int_{z=0}^{x}\left( \frac{-z}{1+z}\right) ^{n}\frac{dz}{1+z} = \int_{z=0}^{x} \sum_{k=n}^{\infty}(-1)^{k}\left(\begin{array}{c}k\\n\end{array}\right) z^{k}dz = \sum_{k=n}^{\infty}(-1)^{k}\left(\begin{array}{c}k\\n\end{array}\right) \frac{x^{k+1}}{k+1} [/tex]​

to the latter sum apply Abel's Theorem to determine that

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 1^-} \sum_{k=n}^{\infty}(-1)^{k}\left(\begin{array}{c}k\\n\end{array}\right) \frac{x^{k+1}}{k+1} = \sum_{k=n}^{\infty}\left(\begin{array}{c}k\\n\end{array}\right) \frac{(-1)^{k}}{k+1} [/tex]​

so that, by the previous identity, the value of the sum is given by

[tex]\boxed{ \sum_{k=n}^{\infty}\left(\begin{array}{c}k\\n\end{array}\right) \frac{(-1)^{k}}{k+1} = \lim_{x\rightarrow 1^-} \int_{z=0}^{x}\left( \frac{-z}{1+z}\right) ^{n}\frac{dz}{1+z} }[/tex]​

Okay, so www.integrals.com[/url] (also, [PLAIN]http://www.hostsrv.com/webmab/app1/MSP/quickmath/02/pageGenerate?site=quickmath&s1=calculus&s2=integrate&s3=advanced#reply ) gives the integral in terms of the hypergeometric function 2F1, viz.

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 1^-} \int_{z=0}^{x}\left( \frac{-z}{1+z}\right) ^{n}\frac{dz}{1+z} = \lim_{x\rightarrow 1^-} (-1)^k\frac{x^{k+1}}{k+1} _2F_1 (k+1,k+1;k+2;-x) = \frac{(-1)^k}{k+1} _2F_1 (k+1,k+1;k+2;-1) [/tex]​

so here I need assistance, the sum above is to be again summed over, as in

[tex]\zeta ^{\prime} (0) =\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n+1)\left[ \log(n+1) -1\right] \sum_{k=n}^{\infty}\left(\begin{array}{c}k\\n\end{array}\right) \frac{(-1)^{k}}{k+1} [/tex]​

where [tex] \zeta (s)[/tex] denotes Riemann's zeta function, and it should sum to [tex] -\log \sqrt{2\pi}[/tex]: and thoughts as to how to proceed from here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
That integral has promise...

That integral has promise... so put

[tex] I_{n}=\int_{0}^{1}\left( \frac{-z}{1+z}\right) ^{n}\frac{dz}{1+z} [/tex]

my prof said to try integration by parts (thanks Mihai,) pick, say

[tex]u=z^n\Rightarrow du=nz^{n-1}dz \mbox{ and } dv=(-1)^{n}(1+z)^{-n-1}dz\Rightarrow v=\frac{(-1)^{n+1}}{n}(1+z)^{-n}[/tex]​

which gives

[tex]I_{n} = \int_{0}^{1}\left( \frac{-z}{1+z}\right) ^{n}\frac{dz}{1+z} = \left[ -\frac{1}{n} \left( \frac{-z}{1+z} \right) ^{n} \right] _{0}^{1} - \int_{0}^{1}\left( \frac{-z}{1+z}\right) ^{n-1}\frac{dz}{1+z} = \frac{(-1)^{n+1}}{n2^n} - I_{n-1} \, [/tex]

a recurrence relation: I'll try using the generating function technique. To be continued...

Last edited:
generating functions are sweet

About that generating function... we will need the value [tex]I_0=\log 2[/tex] (use the series or the integral, both are easy.) From the recurrence relation

[tex]I_{n}= \frac{(-1)^{n+1}}{n2^n} - I_{n-1} \, [/tex]​

multiply by [tex]z^n[/tex] and sum over [tex]n\geq 1[/tex] to get

[tex]G(z):=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} I_{n}z^{n} = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{n+1}}{n2^n}z^{n} - \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}I_{n-1}z^{n} = \log \left( 1+ \frac{z}{2}\right) -zI_0-z \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}I_{n}z^{n}[/tex]​

if we put [tex]G(z) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} I_{n}z^{n}[/tex] for the generating function, substitute in the value of [tex]I_0=\log 2[/tex] we have

[tex]G(z)= \log \left( 1+ \frac{z}{2}\right) -z\log 2 -zG(z)[/tex]​

and hence

[tex]G(z)= \frac{\log \left( 1+ \frac{z}{2}\right) -z\log 2}{1+z} = \left( \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (-1)^{n}z^n\right) \left( \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{n}}{n+1}2^{-n}z^{n}\right) \frac{z}{2} - z\log 2 \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (-1)^{n}z^n [/tex]
[tex] = \frac{z}{2}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \left( \sum_{k=0}^{n} \frac{(-1)^{k}}{k+1}2^{-k}(-1)^{n-k}\right) z^{n} - \log 2 \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} (-1)^{n-1}z^{n} [/tex]
[tex] = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} (-1)^{n-1}\left( \sum_{k=1}^{n} \frac{1}{k2^{k}} \right) z^{n} - \log 2 \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} (-1)^{n}z^{n} = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} (-1)^{n-1}\left( \sum_{k=1}^{n} \frac{1}{k2^{k}} - \log 2 \right) z^{n} [/tex]​

so we can now equate coefficients of [tex]z^{n}[/tex] in

[tex] \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} I_{n}z^{n}= \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} (-1)^{n-1}\left( \sum_{k=1}^{n} \frac{1}{k2^{k}} - \log 2 \right) z^{n} [/tex]​

to arrive at

[tex] I_{n}=\int_{0}^{1}\left( \frac{-z}{1+z}\right) ^{n}\frac{dz}{1+z} = (-1)^{n-1}\left( \sum_{k=1}^{n} \frac{1}{k2^{k}} - \log 2 \right) [/tex]​

which (finally) gives the value of the desired sum

[tex]\boxed{ \sum_{k=n}^{\infty} \left(\begin{array}{c}k\\n\end{array}\right) \frac{(-1)^k}{k+1} = \left\{\begin{array}{cc}\log 2,&\mbox{ if }
n=0\\(-1)^{n-1}\left( \sum_{k=1}^{n} \frac{1}{k2^{k}} - \log 2 \right), & \mbox{ if } n\geq 1\end{array}\right. \, }[/tex]​

Last edited:

What is Abel's Theorem?

Abel's Theorem, also known as the Abel's Summation Formula, is a mathematical theorem that allows for the evaluation of infinite sums. It states that if the terms of a series are decreasing and the series converges, then the value of the series can be expressed as the product of the first term and the limit of the partial sums of the remaining terms.

How do you use Abel's Theorem to evaluate a sum?

To use Abel's Theorem to evaluate a sum, you first need to check if the series is convergent. Then, you need to rearrange the terms of the series so that they are in a form that can be evaluated using Abel's Theorem. Finally, you can plug in the values of the first term and the limit of the partial sums to calculate the value of the sum.

What are the conditions for using Abel's Theorem?

The series must be convergent and the terms must be decreasing for Abel's Theorem to be applicable. Additionally, the limit of the partial sums must exist for the theorem to be used.

Can Abel's Theorem be used for divergent series?

No, Abel's Theorem can only be used for convergent series. If a series is divergent, the theorem cannot be applied to evaluate its sum.

Are there any limitations to using Abel's Theorem?

Yes, there are limitations to using Abel's Theorem. It can only be used for certain types of series, such as those with decreasing terms. Additionally, it may not always provide an accurate value for the sum, as it relies on the limit of the partial sums which may not always exist.