1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluating a sum by Abel's Thm

1. May 16, 2006 #1

benorin

Homework Helper

I wish to evaluate the sum

[tex]\sum_{k=n}^{\infty} \left(\begin{array}{c}k\\n\end{array}\right) \frac{(-1)^k}{k+1}[/tex]

I think I can use Abel's theorem... just read: for |z|<1, we have

[tex]\frac{1}{1+z}\left( \frac{z}{1+z}\right) ^{n} = z^n\frac{1}{(1+z)^{n+1}} = (-1)^n\frac{z^n}{n!}\frac{d^n}{dz^n} \left( \frac{1}{1+z}\right) [/tex]
    [tex]= (-1)^n\frac{z^n}{n!}\frac{d^n}{dz^n} \left( \sum_{k=0}^{\infty}(-1)^{k}z^{k} \right) = (-1)^n\frac{z^n}{n!}\sum_{k=n}^{\infty}(-1)^{k}\frac{k!}{(k-n)!}z^{k-n} = \sum_{k=n}^{\infty}(-1)^{n+k}\left(\begin{array}{c}k\\n\end{array}\right) z^{k} [/tex]

here obtained is the identity

[tex]\frac{1}{1+z}\left( \frac{z}{1+z}\right) ^{n} = \sum_{k=n}^{\infty}(-1)^{n+k}\left(\begin{array}{c}k\\n\end{array}\right) z^{k} [/tex] ​

valid for |z|<1. Suppose that 0<x<1 and multiply the above identity by [tex](-1)^n[/tex] and then integrate over (0,x) to arrive at

[tex]\int_{z=0}^{x}\left( \frac{-z}{1+z}\right) ^{n}\frac{dz}{1+z} = \int_{z=0}^{x} \sum_{k=n}^{\infty}(-1)^{k}\left(\begin{array}{c}k\\n\end{array}\right) z^{k}dz = \sum_{k=n}^{\infty}(-1)^{k}\left(\begin{array}{c}k\\n\end{array}\right) \frac{x^{k+1}}{k+1} [/tex] ​

to the latter sum apply Abel's Theorem to determine that

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 1^-} \sum_{k=n}^{\infty}(-1)^{k}\left(\begin{array}{c}k\\n\end{array}\right) \frac{x^{k+1}}{k+1} = \sum_{k=n}^{\infty}\left(\begin{array}{c}k\\n\end{array}\right) \frac{(-1)^{k}}{k+1} [/tex] ​

so that, by the previous identity, the value of the sum is given by

[tex]\boxed{ \sum_{k=n}^{\infty}\left(\begin{array}{c}k\\n\end{array}\right) \frac{(-1)^{k}}{k+1} = \lim_{x\rightarrow 1^-} \int_{z=0}^{x}\left( \frac{-z}{1+z}\right) ^{n}\frac{dz}{1+z} }[/tex] ​

Okay, so www.integrals.com (also, www.quickmath.com) gives the integral in terms of the hypergeometric function 2F1, viz.

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 1^-} \int_{z=0}^{x}\left( \frac{-z}{1+z}\right) ^{n}\frac{dz}{1+z} = \lim_{x\rightarrow 1^-} (-1)^k\frac{x^{k+1}}{k+1} _2F_1 (k+1,k+1;k+2;-x) = \frac{(-1)^k}{k+1} _2F_1 (k+1,k+1;k+2;-1) [/tex] ​

so here I need assistance, the sum above is to be again summed over, as in

[tex]\zeta ^{\prime} (0) =\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n+1)\left[ \log(n+1) -1\right] \sum_{k=n}^{\infty}\left(\begin{array}{c}k\\n\end{array}\right) \frac{(-1)^{k}}{k+1} [/tex]​

where [tex] \zeta (s)[/tex] denotes Riemann's zeta function, and it should sum to [tex] -\log \sqrt{2\pi}[/tex]: and thoughts as to how to proceed from here?

Last edited: May 16, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2006 #2

benorin

Homework Helper

That integral has promise...

That integral has promise... so put

[tex] I_{n}=\int_{0}^{1}\left( \frac{-z}{1+z}\right) ^{n}\frac{dz}{1+z} [/tex]

my prof said to try integration by parts (thanks Mihai,) pick, say

[tex]u=z^n\Rightarrow du=nz^{n-1}dz \mbox{ and } dv=(-1)^{n}(1+z)^{-n-1}dz\Rightarrow v=\frac{(-1)^{n+1}}{n}(1+z)^{-n}[/tex] ​

which gives

[tex]I_{n} = \int_{0}^{1}\left( \frac{-z}{1+z}\right) ^{n}\frac{dz}{1+z} = \left[ -\frac{1}{n} \left( \frac{-z}{1+z} \right) ^{n} \right] _{0}^{1} - \int_{0}^{1}\left( \frac{-z}{1+z}\right) ^{n-1}\frac{dz}{1+z} = \frac{(-1)^{n+1}}{n2^n} - I_{n-1} \, [/tex]

a recurrence relation: I'll try using the generating function technique. To be continued...

Last edited: May 19, 2006
  4. May 19, 2006 #3

benorin

Homework Helper

generating functions are sweet

About that generating function... we will need the value [tex]I_0=\log 2[/tex] (use the series or the integral, both are easy.) From the recurrence relation

[tex]I_{n}= \frac{(-1)^{n+1}}{n2^n} - I_{n-1} \, [/tex]​

multiply by [tex]z^n[/tex] and sum over [tex]n\geq 1[/tex] to get

[tex]G(z):=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} I_{n}z^{n} = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{n+1}}{n2^n}z^{n} - \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}I_{n-1}z^{n} = \log \left( 1+ \frac{z}{2}\right) -zI_0-z \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}I_{n}z^{n}[/tex]​

if we put [tex]G(z) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} I_{n}z^{n}[/tex] for the generating function, substitute in the value of [tex]I_0=\log 2[/tex] we have

[tex]G(z)= \log \left( 1+ \frac{z}{2}\right) -z\log 2 -zG(z)[/tex]​

and hence

[tex]G(z)= \frac{\log \left( 1+ \frac{z}{2}\right) -z\log 2}{1+z} = \left( \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (-1)^{n}z^n\right) \left( \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{n}}{n+1}2^{-n}z^{n}\right) \frac{z}{2} - z\log 2 \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (-1)^{n}z^n [/tex]
    [tex] = \frac{z}{2}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \left( \sum_{k=0}^{n} \frac{(-1)^{k}}{k+1}2^{-k}(-1)^{n-k}\right) z^{n} - \log 2 \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} (-1)^{n-1}z^{n} [/tex]
    [tex] = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} (-1)^{n-1}\left( \sum_{k=1}^{n} \frac{1}{k2^{k}} \right) z^{n} - \log 2 \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} (-1)^{n}z^{n} = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} (-1)^{n-1}\left( \sum_{k=1}^{n} \frac{1}{k2^{k}} - \log 2 \right) z^{n} [/tex]​

so we can now equate coefficients of [tex]z^{n}[/tex] in

[tex] \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} I_{n}z^{n}= \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} (-1)^{n-1}\left( \sum_{k=1}^{n} \frac{1}{k2^{k}} - \log 2 \right) z^{n} [/tex]​

to arrive at

[tex] I_{n}=\int_{0}^{1}\left( \frac{-z}{1+z}\right) ^{n}\frac{dz}{1+z} = (-1)^{n-1}\left( \sum_{k=1}^{n} \frac{1}{k2^{k}} - \log 2 \right) [/tex]​

which (finally) gives the value of the desired sum

[tex]\boxed{ \sum_{k=n}^{\infty} \left(\begin{array}{c}k\\n\end{array}\right) \frac{(-1)^k}{k+1} = \left\{\begin{array}{cc}\log 2,&\mbox{ if }
    n=0\\(-1)^{n-1}\left( \sum_{k=1}^{n} \frac{1}{k2^{k}} - \log 2 \right), & \mbox{ if } n\geq 1\end{array}\right. \, }[/tex]​

Last edited: May 19, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?