1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluating an exponential of a really large negative number

1. Jun 5, 2009 #1
    As a kid, I remember my father saying "there's a small chance that an electron in your body is on the moon" Well, today I decided to calculate the odds. Among the assumptions I made to make math easier.

*Ground state wave function of Hydrogen
    *the moon is a cube of sides 2r. where r is the radius of the moon.
    *Ignore gravity

Setting the origin at earth, you simply integrate over the volume of the moon in spherical coordinates.

I don't have the result on me now, so I'm guessing at what I got. I think I eliminated some pi's and constants because it's an order of magnitude kind of situation.

{ (rm^2)e^(-ro/ao) } / (ro^2)

rm - radius of the moon
    ro - radius of the moon's orbit
    ao - bohr radius

My question, the term e^(-ro/ao) is an exponential of a huge negative number. The grapher on this mac makes things look pretty, but it can't crunch numbers. How would you evaluate this?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2009 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For numerical evaluation of large (negative or positive) powers of e, convert first to a power of 10, by multiplying the exponent by log10e. The rest is obvious.

4. Jun 5, 2009 #3
    So I want to take both sides of the equation to the log10e power?

5. Jun 5, 2009 #4

diazona

Homework Helper

Well... uh, sort of. You'll want to use the identity
    [tex]e^{-r_0/a_0} = 10^{-(r_0/a_0)\log e}[/tex]
    So just figure out what [itex](-(r_0/a_0)\log e)[/itex] is, and then if it's, say, -1000000000 you'll have an answer like "10 to the -1000000000 power" or whatever. Since it's just an order-of-magnitude thing, that's good enough.

6. Jun 6, 2009 #5
    Ok. I atleast see that that equation is balanced. Good enough for me.

What a crazy chance diazona, My calculations end up with...

p = 10^-(10^8) = 10^-10,000,000

7. Jun 6, 2009 #6
    I'd like to see a cubic moon actually.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook