Evaluating an exponential of a really large negative number

In summary, the conversation revolved around the odds of an electron in a person's body being on the moon and the calculations done to determine these odds. The assumptions made to make the math easier were discussed, such as the ground state wave function of Hydrogen and ignoring gravity. The conversation also touched on evaluating large negative powers of e and using the identity e^-r0/a0 = 10^-(r0/a0*log e) to simplify the calculations. The final result of the calculations was p = 10^-10,000,000.
flatmaster
As a kid, I remember my father saying "there's a small chance that an electron in your body is on the moon" Well, today I decided to calculate the odds. Among the assumptions I made to make math easier.

*Ground state wave function of Hydrogen
*the moon is a cube of sides 2r. where r is the radius of the moon.
*Ignore gravity

Setting the origin at earth, you simply integrate over the volume of the moon in spherical coordinates.

I don't have the result on me now, so I'm guessing at what I got. I think I eliminated some pi's and constants because it's an order of magnitude kind of situation.

{ (rm^2)e^(-ro/ao) } / (ro^2)

rm - radius of the moon
ro - radius of the moon's orbit
ao - bohr radius

My question, the term e^(-ro/ao) is an exponential of a huge negative number. The grapher on this mac makes things look pretty, but it can't crunch numbers. How would you evaluate this?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
For numerical evaluation of large (negative or positive) powers of e, convert first to a power of 10, by multiplying the exponent by log10e. The rest is obvious.

So I want to take both sides of the equation to the log10e power?

Well... uh, sort of. You'll want to use the identity
[tex]e^{-r_0/a_0} = 10^{-(r_0/a_0)\log e}[/tex]
So just figure out what [itex](-(r_0/a_0)\log e)[/itex] is, and then if it's, say, -1000000000 you'll have an answer like "10 to the -1000000000 power" or whatever. Since it's just an order-of-magnitude thing, that's good enough.

Ok. I atleast see that that equation is balanced. Good enough for me.

What a crazy chance diazona, My calculations end up with...

p = 10^-(10^8) = 10^-10,000,000

I'd like to see a cubic moon actually.

1. What is an exponential of a really large negative number?

An exponential of a large negative number is a mathematical expression in the form of an where a is a constant and n is a large negative number. This can also be written as 1/a|n|, where |n| represents the absolute value of n.

2. How do you evaluate an exponential of a really large negative number?

To evaluate an exponential of a large negative number, you can use the properties of exponents, such as an = 1/a|n| and a0 = 1. You can also use a calculator or a computer program to calculate the value.

3. Can an exponential of a large negative number be negative?

Yes, an exponential of a large negative number can be negative if the base a is negative. For example, -2-3 = -0.125.

4. What is the significance of evaluating an exponential of a large negative number?

Evaluating an exponential of a large negative number is important in various fields of science, such as physics, chemistry, and biology. It can be used to solve problems involving decay, growth, and natural phenomena.

5. Are there any real-world applications of evaluating an exponential of a large negative number?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of evaluating an exponential of a large negative number. For example, it can be used to calculate radioactive decay, population growth, and the half-life of drugs. It is also used in financial calculations, such as compound interest and depreciation.