Understanding Rational Exponents with Negative Bases

In summary: There are just a few examples on this subject that's why I'm looking for other resources. I've solved several exercises and I different answers. I miss out on when to place the absolute value bars and when not to. As I understand it, the absolute value bars may be removed if n/m always yields a positive value for |a|^{n/m} , otherwise, the absolute value bars must be retained.
bloodasp
Can anyone point me to a text or link that summarizes the rules when evaluating/simplifying an expression of the form
[tex] (a^n)^(1/m) [/tex] for a < 0. [tex] (a^n)^(1/m) [/tex] yields different answers for [tex] a^(n/m) [/tex] and [tex] (a^(1/m))^n [/tex].

Ex:

[tex] (-8)^(2/6) = (-8)^(1/3) = -2 [/tex]
[tex] (-8)^(2/6) = ((-8)^2)^(1/6) = 2 [/tex]
[tex] (-8)^(2/6) = (-8^(1/6))^2 = undefined [/tex]

Thank you very much!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The general function, ax, is only defined for positive a.
There simply are no ways of giving "rules" for such manipulation with a negative.

Thanks HallsofIvy

i've read in some book that
[tex] (a^n)^{1/m} [/tex]
where a < 0, n and m are positive even integers and [tex] a^{1/m} [/tex] is defined can be simplified to
[tex] |a|^{n/m} [/tex]

There are just a few examples on this subject that's why I'm looking for other resources. I've solved several exercises and I different answers. I miss out on when to place the absolute value bars and when not to. As I understand it, the absolute value bars may be removed if n/m always yields a positive value for [tex] |a|^{n/m} [/tex], otherwise, the absolute value bars must be retained.

I know this is elementary for you guys. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Just a LaTex note. surround your exponent with curly brackets {} to get it all elevated.\

[tex] a ^{ \frac 1 m} [/tex]

click on the equation to see the code.

Just a rewrite

bloodasp said:
Can anyone point me to a text or link that summarizes the rules when evaluating/simplifying an expression of the form
[tex] (a^n)^(1/m) [/tex] for a < 0. [tex] (a^n)^(1/m) [/tex] yields different answers for [tex] a^(n/m) [/tex] and [tex] (a^(1/m))^n [/tex].

Ex:

[tex] (-8)^(2/6) = (-8)^(1/3) = -2 [/tex]
[tex] (-8)^(2/6) = ((-8)^2)^(1/6) = 2 [/tex]
[tex] (-8)^(2/6) = (-8^(1/6))^2 = undefined [/tex]

Thank you very much!

[tex] (a^n)^{1/m} [/tex] for a < 0. [tex] (a^n)^{1/m} [/tex] yields different answers for [tex] a^{n/m} [/tex] and [tex] (a^{1/m})^n [/tex].

Ex:

[tex] (-8)^{2/6} = (-8)^{1/3} = -2 [/tex]
[tex] (-8)^{2/6} = ((-8)^2)^{1/6} = 2 [/tex]
[tex] (-8)^{2/6} = ((-8)^{1/6})^2 = undefined [/tex]

Thank you very much!

Last edited:
bloodasp said:
i've read in some book that
[tex] (a^n)^{1/m} [/tex]
where a < 0, n and m are positive even integers and [tex] a^{1/m} [/tex] is defined can be simplified to
[tex] |a|^{n/m} [/tex]
No, that's not true. There's no such way to simplify that. :frown: :smile:

Related to Understanding Rational Exponents with Negative Bases

1. What is a rational exponent?

A rational exponent is a number in the form of a fraction a/b, where a is the numerator and b is the denominator. It represents the power to which a number should be raised to, and is equivalent to writing the base raised to the power of the numerator, and then taking the bth root of that result.

2. How do I simplify expressions with rational exponents?

To simplify expressions with rational exponents, you can use the properties of exponents, such as the power rule and the product rule. You can also convert the rational exponent to a radical form to make simplification easier.

3. When do rational exponents come into play in real life?

Rational exponents are commonly used in many fields of science and mathematics, such as physics, engineering, and finance. They are used to represent quantities that cannot be easily expressed using whole numbers, and are also used in equations and formulas to solve problems.

4. What is the difference between a rational exponent and a radical?

A rational exponent is a number in the form of a fraction, while a radical is written with a root symbol. They are equivalent ways to represent the same mathematical concept, and can be converted back and forth using the appropriate rules and properties.

5. How do I evaluate expressions with rational exponents?

To evaluate expressions with rational exponents, you can start by simplifying the expression using the properties of exponents. Then, you can substitute the given values for the variables and calculate the final result. It is important to pay attention to the order of operations and to use a calculator when necessary.