Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Evaluating rational exponents

1. Oct 4, 2006 #1
    Can anyone point me to a text or link that summarizes the rules when evaluating/simplifying an expression of the form
    [tex] (a^n)^(1/m) [/tex] for a < 0. [tex] (a^n)^(1/m) [/tex] yields different answers for [tex] a^(n/m) [/tex] and [tex] (a^(1/m))^n [/tex].

Ex:

[tex] (-8)^(2/6) = (-8)^(1/3) = -2 [/tex]
    [tex] (-8)^(2/6) = ((-8)^2)^(1/6) = 2 [/tex]
    [tex] (-8)^(2/6) = (-8^(1/6))^2 = undefined [/tex]

Thank you very much!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2006 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

The general function, ax, is only defined for positive a.
    There simply are no ways of giving "rules" for such manipulation with a negative.

4. Oct 4, 2006 #3
    Thanks HallsofIvy

i've read in some book that
    [tex] (a^n)^{1/m} [/tex]
    where a < 0, n and m are positive even integers and [tex] a^{1/m} [/tex] is defined can be simplified to
    [tex] |a|^{n/m} [/tex]

There are just a few examples on this subject that's why i'm looking for other resources. I've solved several exercises and I different answers. I miss out on when to place the absolute value bars and when not to. As I understand it, the absolute value bars may be removed if n/m always yields a positive value for [tex] |a|^{n/m} [/tex], otherwise, the absolute value bars must be retained.

I know this is elementary for you guys. :biggrin:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2006
  5. Oct 5, 2006 #4

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just a LaTex note. surround your exponent with curly brackets {} to get it all elevated.\

[tex] a ^{ \frac 1 m} [/tex]

click on the equation to see the code.

6. Oct 5, 2006 #5
    Just a rewrite

Can anyone point me to a text or link that summarizes the rules when evaluating/simplifying an expression of the form
    [tex] (a^n)^{1/m} [/tex] for a < 0. [tex] (a^n)^{1/m} [/tex] yields different answers for [tex] a^{n/m} [/tex] and [tex] (a^{1/m})^n [/tex].

Ex:

[tex] (-8)^{2/6} = (-8)^{1/3} = -2 [/tex]
    [tex] (-8)^{2/6} = ((-8)^2)^{1/6} = 2 [/tex]
    [tex] (-8)^{2/6} = ((-8)^{1/6})^2 = undefined [/tex]

Thank you very much!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2006
  7. Oct 5, 2006 #6

VietDao29

Homework Helper

No, that's not true. There's no such way to simplify that. :frown: :smile:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook