Evaluation of a reduction formula

In summary, the conversation discusses the procedure for evaluating reduction formulae, specifically for the integral of (1 - x^2)^n from 0 to 1, with n being greater than or equal to 1. The correct answer is found to be 128/315, which is confirmed by using Wolfram Alpha for evaluation. The conversation also mentions the usefulness of Wolfram Alpha for checking work in other mathematical areas such as infinite sums, limits, and derivatives.
NewtonianAlch

Homework Statement

[itex]\int[/itex] (1 - x^2)^n dx = [itex]\frac{2n}{2n+1}[/itex] [itex]\int[/itex] (1 - x^2)^n-1 dx

for n greater or equal to 1, find [itex]\int[/itex] (1 - x^2)^4 dx

The integrals go from 0 to 1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well what I did was to keep doing n - 1 whilst pulling a fraction outside the integral and multiplying each subsequent fraction.

So I ended up with 8/9 * 6/7 * 4/5 and the integral of (1 - x) which became x - x^2/2

Substituting in 1 and 0, subtracting and the multiplying by the fractions I got 192/305*1/2 which simplifies to 96/305.

Is this the correct procedure for evaluating reduction formulae, and was my answer correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
I get:

[itex]\int_0^1 (1 - x^2)^4 dx = \frac{8}{9}\frac{6}{7}\frac{4}{5}\frac{2}{3}\int_0^1 1 dx[/itex]

So the answer is: [itex] \frac{(8)(6)(4)(2)}{(9)(7)(5)(3)} = \frac{2^7}{(3^2)(5)(7)} = \frac{128}{315} [/itex]

Wolframe Alpha agrees with the above answer.

Ahh, I see my mistake now, for n greater or equal to 1, I needed to have reduced it one more time to get the 2/3.

Thanks

I'd like to know if possible what page you used to cross check that, I'm looking at Wolfram Alpha and can't really find anything to evaluate reduction formulae, though I can see the step-by-step integrator.

You don't need to give WA the correct formulas with which to evaluate an integral...
"int from 0 to 1 (1-x^2)^4"
returns 128/315
See: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=int+from+0+to+1+(1-x^2)^4
It will do infinite sums, limits and derivatives too. I find it really useful for checking work.

Awesome, thanks for that.

What is a reduction formula?

A reduction formula is a mathematical method used to simplify a complex expression or formula into a more manageable form. It involves breaking down the original formula into smaller parts that can be easily evaluated.

Why is a reduction formula useful?

A reduction formula can be useful for solving complex problems that involve repeated use of a similar formula. It can also help in simplifying calculations and reducing the amount of work required to solve a problem.

How do you derive a reduction formula?

To derive a reduction formula, you need to identify a pattern in the given formula and use it to reduce the formula into a simpler form. This can involve using algebraic manipulations, trigonometric identities, or other mathematical techniques.

What types of problems can be solved using a reduction formula?

A reduction formula can be used to solve a wide range of problems, including definite integrals, infinite series, and recurrence relations. It is particularly useful in solving problems that involve multiple steps and require the use of the same formula repeatedly.

What are the limitations of a reduction formula?

Reduction formulas may not be applicable to all types of problems and may not always provide the most efficient solution. They also require a certain level of mathematical understanding and may not be suitable for beginners. Additionally, not all problems have a simple reduction formula and may require more advanced techniques to solve.