Is This Differential Equation Exact and How Do You Find Its Potential Function?

In summary: As for the question you asked:"But why are you doing that integration? What is it that you are calculating when you do that antiderivative?"To answer that, I am doing the integration to solve for F(x,y). I am calculating the antiderivative of M(x,y) with respect to x, which would give me F(x,y). Am I right to say that?
τheory

Homework Statement

Use the "mixed partials" check to see if the following differential equation is exact.
If it is exact find a function [itex]F(x,y)[/itex] whose differential, [itex]dF(x,y)[/itex] is the left hand side of the differential equation. That is, level curves [itex]F(x,y) = C[/itex] are solutions to the differential equation:
[itex](-4xy^2+y)dx+(-4x^y+x)dy = 0[/itex]

Find:
[itex]M_{y}(x,y) = ?[/itex]
[itex]N_{x}(x,y) = ?[/itex]
[itex]F(x,y) = ?[/itex]2. The attempt at a solution
I first partially differentiated each part (M and N) with respect to y and x, respectively. This got me this and they are exact:
[itex]M(x,y) = -4xy^2+y[/itex]

[itex]\frac{∂M}{∂y} = -8xy+1[/itex]

[itex]N(x,y) = 4x^2y+x[/itex]

[itex]\frac{∂N}{∂y} = -8xy+1[/itex]

Then I integrated [itex]M(x,y)[/itex] with respect to x which got me:
[itex]-2x^2y^2+xy+h(y)[/itex]

Then I partially differentiated that equation with respect to y:
[itex]\frac{∂M}{∂y} = -4x^2y+x+h'(y)[/itex]

Next, I set that equation equal to [itex]N(x,y)[/itex] and solved for [itex]h'(y)[/itex]:
[itex]-4x^2y+x+h'(y) = 4x^2y+x[/itex]
[itex]h'(y) = 0[/itex]

I then integrated with respect to y:
[itex]∫ h'(y) dy = ∫ 0 dy[/itex]
[itex]h(y) = 0 + C[/itex]

Finally I plug it back into the original equation:

[itex]h(y) = 0 + C[/itex]
[itex]-2x^2y^2 + xy + C = -2x^2y^2 + C[/itex]

But because the website (WeBWorK) does not allow the input of "C", I just left it as:
[itex]-2x^2y^2 + xy[/itex]

Thus, my answers were:
[itex]M_{y}(x,y) = -8xy+1[/itex]
[itex]N_{x}(x,y) = -8xy+1[/itex]
[itex]F(x,y) = -2x^2y^2 + xy[/itex]

I submitted the answers but the site said they were wrong, and I don't know which ones are wrong because the question is one of those, "get all right for a point" kind of thing.

Physics news on Phys.org
τheory said:

Homework Statement

Use the "mixed partials" check to see if the following differential equation is exact.
If it is exact find a function [itex]F(x,y)[/itex] whose differential, [itex]dF(x,y)[/itex] is the left hand side of the differential equation. That is, level curves [itex]F(x,y) = C[/itex] are solutions to the differential equation:
[itex](-4xy^2+y)dx+(-4x^y+x)dy = 0[/itex]

Find:
[itex]M_{y}(x,y) = ?[/itex]
[itex]N_{x}(x,y) = ?[/itex]
[itex]F(x,y) = ?[/itex]2. The attempt at a solution
I first partially differentiated each part (M and N) with respect to y and x, respectively. This got me this and they are exact:
[itex]M(x,y) = -4xy^2+y[/itex]

[itex]\frac{∂M}{∂y} = -8xy+1[/itex]

[itex]N(x,y) = 4x^2y+x[/itex]

[itex]\frac{∂N}{∂y} = -8xy+1[/itex]

Then I integrated [itex]M(x,y)[/itex] with respect to x which got me:
But what is the left side of that equation? What is it that you have just calculated? Remember that you are looking for a function F(x,y) such that Fx=M and Fy= N.
Then I partially differentiated that equation with respect to y:
[itex]\frac{∂M}{∂y} = -4x^2y+x+h'(y)[/itex]
What equation?? You have just differentiated an expression. You need an equals sign and something on both sides.
Next, I set that equation equal to [itex]N(x,y)[/itex] and solved for [itex]h'(y)[/itex]:
[itex]-4x^2y+x+h'(y) = 4x^2y+x[/itex]
[itex]h'(y) = 0[/itex]
And once you answer the above questions you might understand what is equal to that and also see why you should stop right there.

Also, you can check whether your F(x,y) works (it does).

Last edited:
But what is the left side of that equation? What is it that you have just calculated? Remember that you are looking for a function F(x,y) such that Fx=M and Fy= N.

My bad, the left side of that equation is suppose to be:
[itex]∫ \frac{∂M}{∂y} dx[/itex]

Which formulates this:
[itex]∫ \frac{∂M}{∂y} dx = ∫ (-4xy^2+y) dx + h(y)[/itex]
[itex]∫ \frac{∂M}{∂y} dx = -2x^2y^2 + xy + h(y)[/itex]

What equation?? You have just differentiated an expression. You need an equals sign and something on both sides.
I differentiated this:
[itex]∫ \frac{∂M}{∂y} dx[/itex]

Which led to this:
[itex]\frac{∂}{∂y} [∫ \frac{∂M}{∂y} dx] = \frac{∂}{∂y} [-2x^2y^2 + xy + h(y)][/itex]
[itex]\frac{∂}{∂y} [∫ \frac{∂M}{∂y} dx] = -4x^2y+x+h'(y)[/itex]

Last edited:
τheory said:
My bad, the left side of that equation is suppose to be:
[itex]∫ \frac{∂M}{∂y} dy[/itex]

Which formulates this:
[itex]∫ \frac{∂M}{∂y} dy = ∫ -4xy^2+y dy + h(y)[/itex]
[itex]∫ \frac{∂M}{∂y} dy = -2x^2y^2 + xy + h(y)[/itex]

I added a note to my first post while you were typing this. Your answer is correct but your writeup isn't good. I know you were taking the antiderivative of M(x,y) with respect to x when you got ##-2x^2y^2+xy+h(y)##. But why are you doing that integration? What is it that you are calculating when you do that antiderivative? You need to understand that.

Whops quick note, I just finished editing my previous post when you just responded; the equation you quoted from me should have been "dx" and not "dy".

LCKurtz said:
I added a note to my first post while you were typing this. Your answer is correct but your writeup isn't good. I know you were taking the antiderivative of M(x,y) with respect to x when you got ##-2x^2y^2+xy+h(y)##. But why are you doing that integration? What is it that you are calculating when you do that antiderivative? You need to understand that.

τheory said:
Whops quick note, I just finished editing my previous post when you just responded; the equation you quoted from me should have been "dx" and not "dy".

Yes, I figured that...

Related to Is This Differential Equation Exact and How Do You Find Its Potential Function?

1. What is an exact differential equation?

An exact differential equation is a type of differential equation where the solution can be obtained by using the method of exact differentials. This means that the equation can be written in the form of df(x,y) = 0, where f(x,y) is a function of two variables and the solution is found by integrating both sides of the equation with respect to one of the variables.

2. What is the difference between an exact and an inexact differential equation?

The main difference between an exact and an inexact differential equation is that the solution to an exact differential equation can be obtained by using the method of exact differentials, while an inexact differential equation requires the use of an integrating factor to find the solution.

3. How do you determine if a differential equation is exact?

To determine if a differential equation is exact, you can use the method of checking for exactness. This involves checking if the partial derivatives of the equation with respect to each variable are equal. If they are equal, then the differential equation is exact.

4. What is the general form of an exact differential equation?

The general form of an exact differential equation is df(x,y) = M(x,y)dx + N(x,y)dy = 0, where M(x,y) and N(x,y) are functions of two variables x and y. This form allows for the use of the method of exact differentials to find the solution.

5. What are some applications of exact differential equations in science?

Exact differential equations have many applications in science, particularly in physics and engineering. They are used to model and solve problems related to motion, heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and many other physical phenomena. They are also essential in the development of mathematical models for predicting and analyzing complex systems.