Exact Energy usage in an AC-R circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the voltage drop through a resistor in an AC circuit and the work done on a charge as it moves through the resistor. It questions the common concept that the energy dissipated by heat is equal to the energy put in by the electric field, and explores alternative approaches to understanding this relationship.
azi100
Consider a circuit with an AC source (time varying emf) and a resistor. The voltage drop through the resistor is of course equal to the emf.

Consider the region which bounds the resistor.

The work done on a charge as it moves from one end of the resistor to the other (and in turn the change in kinetic energy) is equal to the work done by the electric field (at the rate VI) - the work done by the resistor (dissipated in the form of heat). Since the kinetic energy of the charge is changing (this is an AC circuit and so its velocity must change) it cannot be true that the energy dissipated by heat is = to the energy put in by the electric field, so why would the energy dissipated by heat by VI (as most physics textbooks say).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And if it is not VI then what is it? I presume a more complete treatment would involve looking at the change in the potential energy of the E-field, but I cannot figure out the best way to do this since the E field is not completely contained to within the wire.

Physics news on Phys.org
azi100 said:
Since the kinetic energy of the charge is changing (this is an AC circuit and so its velocity must change) it cannot be true that the energy dissipated by heat is = to the energy put in by the electric field
Why couldn't that be true?

Well if the energy put in by the electric field is all lost to heat then no work is done on the charges and so there kinetic energy must remain constant.

anyone??

the only progress i have made is to assume that kinetic energy is equal to k*I^2 where k is some constant so that d Ke /dt = k*I*I' and from there I can derive the amount of energy lost to heat. Do you think this is the right approach?

1. What is the purpose of measuring exact energy usage in an AC-R circuit?

The purpose of measuring exact energy usage in an AC-R circuit is to determine the amount of power being consumed by the circuit. This information is important for understanding the efficiency of the circuit and for making adjustments to improve its performance.

2. How is energy usage measured in an AC-R circuit?

Energy usage in an AC-R circuit is typically measured using a wattmeter or power analyzer. These devices measure the voltage and current in the circuit and calculate the power being consumed based on the product of these two values.

3. What factors affect energy usage in an AC-R circuit?

There are several factors that can affect energy usage in an AC-R circuit. These include the voltage and current levels, the type and quality of components used, and the overall design and efficiency of the circuit.

4. How can energy usage be reduced in an AC-R circuit?

Energy usage in an AC-R circuit can be reduced by using more efficient components, optimizing the design of the circuit to minimize power loss, and implementing energy-saving techniques such as using variable speed drives or implementing power factor correction.

5. What are the potential consequences of high energy usage in an AC-R circuit?

High energy usage in an AC-R circuit can lead to increased operating costs, reduced efficiency, and potential damage to components due to overheating. It can also contribute to overall energy waste and impact the environment. Therefore, it is important to accurately measure and monitor energy usage in AC-R circuits to identify areas for improvement.