Exact length of the curve analytically

In summary: Your equation above is wrong. It should be\int_a^b \sqrt{1 + (\frac{dy}{dx}})^2 dx When you use this form of the equation for the arc length, you will find a couple of things simplify.First, you will get a simpler derivative.Second, you will get a simpler equation for the arc length.And finally, you will not have an x in the denominator.So, the final equation for the arc length would be\int_a^b \sqrt{1+\frac{dy}{dx}} which is the same as your original equation.
volleygirl292

Homework Statement

a curve is given by y=(9-x^(2/3))^(3/2) for 1 ≤ x ≤ 8. Find the exact length of the curve analytically by antidifferentiation

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\int_a^b \sqrt{1+\frac{dy}{dx}} dx [/tex]
I use this formula right?

i took the derivative of the equation and i got \sqrt{9-x^(2/3)} times X^(-1/3)

How do I integrate it with the negative exponent... I know its probably simple but I'm just not getting it

Physics news on Phys.org
volleygirl292 said:

Homework Statement

a curve is given by y=(9-x^(2/3))^(3/2) for 1 ≤ x ≤ 8. Find the exact length of the curve analytically by antidifferentiation

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\int_a^b \sqrt{1+\frac{dy}{dx}} dx [/tex]
I use this formula right?

i took the derivative of the equation and i got \sqrt{9-x^(2/3)} times X^(-1/3)

How do I integrate it with the negative exponent... I know its probably simple but I'm just not getting it

Your equation above is wrong. It should be

[tex] \int_a^b \sqrt{1 + (\frac{dy}{dx}})^2 dx [/tex]

When you use this form of the equation for the arc length, you will find a couple of things simplify.

ok so now i have it down to integral of sqrt of 1-(9-x^(2/3)/(x^(2/3))

but i still have a exponent in the denominator

Let me first fix your expression by putting in the "tex" commands:

volleygirl292 said:
ok so now i have it down to

[tex] \int_a^b \sqrt{1 + (\frac{9-x^(2/3)}{x^2/3}}) dx [/tex]

That doesn't look right.

Now,

[tex] y = (9 - x^{\frac{2}{3}})^{\frac{3}{2}} [/tex]

has a derivative that looks like

[tex] \frac{dy}{dx} = -(9 - x^{\frac{2}{3}})^{\frac{1}{2}} x^{-\frac{1}{3}} [/tex]

Now when you square that mess so you can put it into your expression for the arc length there will be simplifications that will allow you to do the integration.

I got it down to the integral of sqrt of 1+ (27-x)/x

but i still have an x in the denominator

volleygirl292 said:
ok so now i have it down to integral of sqrt of 1-(9-x^(2/3)/(x^(2/3))

but i still have a exponent in the denominator

It's 1+(9-x^(2/3)/(x^(2/3)), isn't it? Simplify the algebraically and then integrate.

1. What is the definition of the "exact length of the curve analytically"?

The exact length of a curve analytically refers to the precise measurement of the length of a curve using mathematical formulas and techniques.

2. How is the exact length of a curve determined analytically?

The exact length of a curve is determined by first defining a mathematical function that represents the curve and then using integration techniques to find the arc length of the curve.

3. What are the benefits of determining the exact length of a curve analytically?

Determining the exact length of a curve analytically allows for a precise and accurate measurement, which is useful in various fields such as engineering, physics, and geometry. It also allows for the comparison of different curves and their lengths.

4. Are there any limitations to finding the exact length of a curve analytically?

Yes, there can be limitations depending on the complexity of the curve and the available mathematical techniques. Some curves may require advanced mathematical concepts and tools to find their exact length analytically.

5. Can the exact length of a curve be calculated numerically instead of analytically?

Yes, the exact length of a curve can also be calculated numerically by dividing the curve into smaller segments and using numerical methods, such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule, to estimate the length of each segment and then adding them together to get the overall length of the curve.