Exact Sequences - Diagrams that 'commute' - vertical arrows

In summary: I used the line breaks here to make it easier to read.)In summary, the conversation discusses the use of LaTex for typesetting commutative diagrams in the book "Dummit and Foote on Exact Sequences." The conversation also provides an example of a diagram with vertical arrows and asks for help with constructing similar diagrams. It also mentions the availability of the amscd package for typesetting commutative diagrams and suggests using the array environment as an alternative.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Dummit and Foote on Exact Sequences and some of the 'diagrams that commute' have vertical arrows.

Can someone please help me with the LaTex for these diagrams.

I have given an example in the attachment "Exact Sequences - Diagrams with Vertical Arrows" - where I also frame my question (please see attachment)

I have also attached Dummit and Foote Section 10.5 page 381 which has two examples of the diagrams to which I refer.

Would be very grateful for help.

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
$\mathcal{AMS}\TeX$ has a package amscd for typesetting commutative diagrams. It is not available with the Mathjax program used for TeX in this forum. But you can use the array environment to construct diagrams such as $\begin{array}{ccc} A & \stackrel{\alpha}{\longrightarrow} & B \\ \big\downarrow\vcenter{\rlap{\scriptsize\phi}} && \big\downarrow\vcenter{\rlap{\scriptsize\psi}} \\ C & \stackrel{\smash\beta}{\longrightarrow} & D \end{array}$.
Code:
\begin{array}{ccc} 
A & \stackrel{\alpha}{\longrightarrow} & B \\ 
\big\downarrow\vcenter{\rlap{\scriptsize\phi}} & & \big\downarrow\vcenter{\rlap{\scriptsize\psi}} \\ 
C & \stackrel{\smash\beta}{\longrightarrow} & D 
\end{array}
In that code, you can make the down arrows longer if you replace big by Big. (The commands \rlap and \smash are there to improve the spacing.)

Hello, Peter! Bernhard!

Here's one way . . .[tex]\begin{array}{ccccccccc} &&& \alpha && \beta && \gamma \\ O & \to & A & \to & B & \to & C & \to & O \\ && \quad\downarrow \phi && \quad\downarrow\psi && \quad\downarrow\tau \\ O & \to & A' & \to & B' & \to & C' & \to & O \end{array}[/tex]
Code:
\begin{array}{ccccccccc} &&& \alpha && \beta && \gamma \\
O & \to & A & \to & B & \to & C & \to & O \\
&& \quad\downarrow \phi && \quad\downarrow\psi && \quad\downarrow\tau \\
O & \to & A' & \to & B' & \to & C' & \to & O \end{array}
Note: You may have to type all this in one continuous line.

Last edited:

1. What is an exact sequence in mathematics?

An exact sequence in mathematics is a sequence of objects (such as sets, groups, or vector spaces) and morphisms (functions or transformations) between them, in which the image of one object is the kernel of the next. This means that the composition of two consecutive morphisms is always equal to the zero morphism.

2. What is the purpose of using diagrams that 'commute' in exact sequences?

The purpose of using diagrams that 'commute' in exact sequences is to visually represent the relationships between objects and morphisms in a given sequence. By using vertical arrows to connect the objects in the sequence, we can easily see how each object is related to the others and how the morphisms between them interact.

3. How do we know if a diagram of an exact sequence commutes?

A diagram of an exact sequence commutes if every possible path from one object to another in the diagram yields the same result. In other words, if we follow any sequence of vertical arrows in the diagram, the resulting composition of morphisms will be the same regardless of the path taken.

4. What is the significance of vertical arrows in exact sequence diagrams?

The vertical arrows in exact sequence diagrams represent the morphisms between objects in the sequence. These arrows are essential in showing the relationships between objects and how they fit into the exact sequence. They also allow us to easily see which objects are connected and how they are connected.

5. Can we have an exact sequence without using a diagram?

Yes, an exact sequence can be written without using a diagram. However, using a diagram can often make it easier to understand and visualize the sequence. It also allows us to easily see if the sequence commutes and to identify any patterns or relationships between objects and morphisms.