1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schools Exam II frustrations (University Physics - Mechanics and Heat)

1. Mar 13, 2008 #1
    Well, as I was driving to Wal-mart tonight, I began to think about a particular problem and realized I did it incorrectly. It was an Atwood Machine question. In writing out Newton's Laws, in a split-second decision, I didn't add the other mass when figuring out the acceleration of the system. It's not that I forgot. It's that I came to the quick decision that I didn't have to. Obviously, I was supposed to. I had to reason my way through this problem. Maybe I'll get partial credit. It makes me wonder what else I did incorrectly. I'm not just being like this for attention or anything. I was genuinely pissed off when I realized this. I'm a physics major, and I want to do damn-near perfectly in my physics courses. And I'm not. I made a 100 on the stupid short quiz covering most of this material.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2008 #2
    Making mistakes is a part of life. All you can do is take every preventative measure possible to reduce the likeliness of blundering. Get a good nights sleep, don't stress your brain before the exam, and work slowly and question everything you do.

I went into a final last term with an ~A+ and walked out with a B+ (2% from an A) due to one stupid error. I learned my lesson though. Take the fact that this happened to you on a midterm as a blessing and take your lesson to the finals.
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2008
  4. Mar 13, 2008 #3
    Well, I was a bit tired before class, but I don't think that played much of a factor. I guess I'm just doubting myself, my intellect, abilities, and so forth.
  5. Mar 13, 2008 #4
    If you aced the quiz that covered the same material you have no reason to doubt your intellect. Everyone makes mistakes, smart people learn from them. Plus it sounds like you did fine on the midterm except one question. You're fine man.
  6. Mar 13, 2008 #5
    Yeah, but I should have aced the stupid exam then. The quiz wasn't TOO terribly difficult. It was pretty straightforward with applying the concepts.
  7. Mar 13, 2008 #6
    Striving for 100% will drive you nuts. Just try your best, theres nothing else you can do. I really don't think you have reason to doubt yourself.
  8. Mar 13, 2008 #7
    I don't know about that. lol. Chances are I screwed something else up and lost valuable points. The stupid exam only has 6 questions. We were told to omit one, but I went ahead and did all 6.
  9. Mar 13, 2008 #8
    Well, this is like all I have.
  10. Mar 13, 2008 #9
    What year are you in?
  11. Mar 13, 2008 #10
    Well, after this semester, I'll have 51 hours. I've taken pretty much all of my cores. I'm in Cal III and this physics course. I suppose it doesn't matter that the last physics course I took was in high school in 2002.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?