Exam in 2 Hours: Solving Kinematics and Tidal Problems for Physics Exam

• Thread starter rei
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam
In summary, a student is requesting help with two problems: one involving a collision between a rod and an object, and the other involving the duration of safe entry into a military harbor with changing tides. The summary includes a brief explanation of how to find the velocity of the center of mass and angular velocity in the first problem, and a hint to convert the information in the second problem into a sine wave.
rei
These might be really silly problems for a lot of you but I'll have an exam in 2 hours and I still don't know how to do these problem ( which's supposedly the types of questions that will show up in the exam). I'll be really appreciate if someone can help me!

1. An uniform thin rod 80 cm long with mass of 1 kg lies on a frictionless horizontal surface. A second small object of mass 1 kg strikes the rod 20 cm long from one end traveling with a velocity of 10m/s directly perpendicular to the length of the rod. the small object stick to the road after the collision. Compute ( after the collision):
a, the velocity of the center of mass of the system composed of the rod and the object .
b, angular velocity of the system about the center of mass.

2. An ancient military harbor was protected by underwater reef that was 12ft out of the water at low tide and 4 ft under water at high tide. Friendly boats could enter the harbor as long as there was 3 ft of water above the reef. The depth of the water produced by the tides oscillates as if the water level were undergoing simple harmonic motion between high tide and low tide with a period of 12.5 hours. What was the duration of each time interval during which ships could safely enter the harbor.

is there any hint? Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
a. The velocity of the center of mass is equal to the weighted average of the mass*velocity of each object.
b. [tex]L = r \times p = I\omega[/tex]

2. Convert all that information into a sine wave. You can start by determining the amplitude and vertical shift. The period shouldn't be too hard to incorporate in.

I still don't understand. we have:
x= 8 cos (omega t + phi)
omega = 2pi/T
but how can I find phi?

[tex]x = 8cos(\omega t + \phi)[/tex]
All phi does is shift the graph [tex]-\phi[/tex] on the x axis. Just let it equal 0. Also, be careful to add in the vertical shift.

Related to Exam in 2 Hours: Solving Kinematics and Tidal Problems for Physics Exam

1. What should I study in the last 2 hours before my exam?

In the last 2 hours before your exam, it is best to review your notes and any key concepts or formulas. Don't try to learn anything new, but rather focus on reinforcing what you already know.

2. Is it helpful to do practice questions or past exams before my exam?

Yes, practicing exam-style questions or past exams can be very helpful in preparing for your exam. It allows you to familiarize yourself with the format and types of questions that may appear on the exam.

3. How can I stay focused and avoid distractions during my exam?

To stay focused during your exam, try to find a quiet and comfortable study space. Turn off your phone and any other distractions, and set a timer for your study session. Taking short breaks every 25-30 minutes can also help you stay focused.

4. I'm feeling anxious about my exam. What can I do to calm my nerves?

If you're feeling anxious before your exam, try taking some deep breaths and remind yourself that you have studied and are prepared. Visualizing yourself doing well on the exam can also help calm your nerves.

5. How can I manage my time effectively during my exam?

To manage your time effectively during your exam, it can be helpful to read through all of the questions first and prioritize which ones you feel most confident answering. Make a plan for how much time you will spend on each question, and don't spend too much time on one question if you're struggling. Remember to pace yourself and stick to your time plan.