Is Zero Force Required for Constant Velocity in Physics?

In summary, the question is asking for the force on the trailer due to the tractor, given that the tractor is pulling with a constant velocity of 20 m/s and the mass of the trailer is 200kg while the mass of the tractor is 500kg. The correct answer is B, as there is no change in acceleration and therefore no net force acting on the trailer. However, the previous person who took the exam put C as their answer, possibly due to confusion with the concept of net force and the assumption of frictionless motion.
nwowen
Hi, I am reviewing for an exam on Saturday and I'm looking at some old exams for the course and I came across the question.
A tractor (t) is pulling a trailer (m) with a constant velocity. If the velocity is 20 m/s and m = 200kg and t = 500 kg the the force on the trailer dou to the tractor is:

A 200 N backward
B 0
C 600 N forward
D 35 N forward
E 450 N backward

Now I personally believe that the correct answer is B, because there is no change in acceleration, so with f=ma, there is a value of a=0 because there is no change. However, whoever took the exam before me put C and I'm somewhat hesitant to second guess the other person.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why are you hesitant to second guess somebody who you don't know, and could have been completely retarded?

Try to see if you can somehow get their answer...

A note for the future, you've got to remember that F=ma is the sum of forces on the trailer.

So the tractor could be pulling with a force of 500N forward but the drag and rolling resistance is 500N backwards. Net force = 0 therefore no acceleration.

Zero acceleration does not necessarily mean that the tractor is not pulling the trailer with a certain force.

Now in this case there is no information on drag or friction so you have to assume its frictionless. Meaning that for the forces to sum to zero the tractor must be pulling with zero force.

1. What is force and how is it measured?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the interaction between two objects. It is measured in units of Newtons (N), where 1 Newton is equal to 1 kg*m/s^2.

2. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is the amount of matter an object contains, while weight is the force of gravity acting on that object. Mass is measured in kilograms (kg) and weight is measured in Newtons (N).

3. How does force affect an object's motion?

According to Newton's First Law of Motion, an object at rest will stay at rest and an object in motion will stay in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an unbalanced force. Therefore, force can change the speed, direction, or both of an object's motion.

4. What is the difference between a balanced and unbalanced force?

A balanced force is one where the net force on an object is equal to zero, meaning there is no change in the object's motion. An unbalanced force is one where the net force is not equal to zero, resulting in a change in the object's motion.

5. How can we calculate the net force acting on an object?

The net force is calculated by adding all the individual forces acting on an object together. If the forces are in the same direction, they are added. If they are in opposite directions, they are subtracted. The resulting force is the net force acting on the object.