1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Examining an augmented matrix

1. Sep 24, 2012 #1
    I attached the problem.

I just wanted to check if I'm thinking about a few of these parts correctly.

a) yes because the coefficient matrix has 2 rows that are multiples of each other, thus det=0
    b)Yes, but the system does not have a unique solution b/c 2 rows are multiples of each other in the coefficient matrix.
    c) Imma skip this
    d) skipping this
    e) I think they worded this problem wrong. if det(coefficient matrix)=0, then there exists either inifinite many solutions OR NO solutions.
    f) skip

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2012 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Correct.
    Consider what happens if, say, a = 1 and d = 1.
    And whether there are infinitely many solutions or no solutions depends on a, b, c, d. I agree that the wording of this question is strange.

4. Sep 25, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It is unfortunate that you skipped over c and d because they are essential to e and f! d asked you to tell what must be true of the last column in order that the system be "inconsistent". e asks you to tell wheter or not, in that case, there are an infinite number of solutions or no solution. What does "inconsistent" mean?

f happens to give you a set of values in which the last number is twice the first number. Do you see why that is important?

5. Sep 25, 2012 #4
    Well since 2 rows in the coefficient matrix are multiples of each other, the system is either going to have a free variable, thus one option is infinite solutions. But if it's inconsistent, then there's no solutions. I don't think it's possible for the system to have a unique solution independent of a, b, c, d.

Well I did them, posting my work would have just taken a while.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook