Examining Augmented Matrices: Understanding Solutions and Inconsistencies

• Thread starter pyroknife
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary: Inconsistent means that the last column doesn't match up with the other three columns. In this case, because the last column is 2x the first column, it means that the system is not consistent.
pyroknife
I attached the problem.

I just wanted to check if I'm thinking about a few of these parts correctly.

a) yes because the coefficient matrix has 2 rows that are multiples of each other, thus det=0
b)Yes, but the system does not have a unique solution b/c 2 rows are multiples of each other in the coefficient matrix.
c) Imma skip this
d) skipping this
e) I think they worded this problem wrong. if det(coefficient matrix)=0, then there exists either inifinite many solutions OR NO solutions.
f) skip

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    11.5 KB · Views: 419
Physics news on Phys.org
pyroknife said:
I attached the problem.

I just wanted to check if I'm thinking about a few of these parts correctly.

a) yes because the coefficient matrix has 2 rows that are multiples of each other, thus det=0
Correct.
b)Yes, but the system does not have a unique solution b/c 2 rows are multiples of each other in the coefficient matrix.
Consider what happens if, say, a = 1 and d = 1.
e) I think they worded this problem wrong. if det(coefficient matrix)=0, then there exists either inifinite many solutions OR NO solutions.
And whether there are infinitely many solutions or no solutions depends on a, b, c, d. I agree that the wording of this question is strange.

It is unfortunate that you skipped over c and d because they are essential to e and f! d asked you to tell what must be true of the last column in order that the system be "inconsistent". e asks you to tell wheter or not, in that case, there are an infinite number of solutions or no solution. What does "inconsistent" mean?

f happens to give you a set of values in which the last number is twice the first number. Do you see why that is important?

jbunniii said:
Consider what happens if, say, a = 1 and d = 1.

Well since 2 rows in the coefficient matrix are multiples of each other, the system is either going to have a free variable, thus one option is infinite solutions. But if it's inconsistent, then there's no solutions. I don't think it's possible for the system to have a unique solution independent of a, b, c, d.

HallsofIvy said:
It is unfortunate that you skipped over c and d because they are essential to e and f! d asked you to tell what must be true of the last column in order that the system be "inconsistent". e asks you to tell wheter or not, in that case, there are an infinite number of solutions or no solution. What does "inconsistent" mean?

f happens to give you a set of values in which the last number is twice the first number. Do you see why that is important?

Well I did them, posting my work would have just taken a while.

Related to Examining Augmented Matrices: Understanding Solutions and Inconsistencies

1. What is an augmented matrix?

An augmented matrix is a representation of a system of linear equations in the form of a rectangular array of numbers. The coefficients of the variables in the equations are placed in the left side of the matrix, while the constants are placed on the right side.

2. How is an augmented matrix used in solving systems of linear equations?

An augmented matrix is used in the process of Gaussian elimination, which is a method for solving systems of linear equations. The matrix is manipulated through row operations until it is in reduced row echelon form, which reveals the solution to the system of equations.

3. What is the purpose of using an augmented matrix instead of the standard form of equations?

An augmented matrix is useful because it allows for a more efficient and systematic approach to solving systems of linear equations. It also makes it easier to perform row operations, which are necessary in Gaussian elimination.

4. How can an augmented matrix be used to determine if a system of linear equations has a unique solution, infinite solutions, or no solution?

If an augmented matrix is reduced to a form where there are no inconsistent equations (a row containing all zeroes except for a non-zero constant), then the system has at least one solution. If there is exactly one solution, then the system has a unique solution. If there are infinitely many solutions, then there will be a row of all zeroes in the reduced matrix.

5. Can an augmented matrix be used for systems of equations with more than two variables?

Yes, an augmented matrix can be used for systems of equations with any number of variables. The number of columns in the matrix will correspond to the number of variables in the system, and the number of rows will correspond to the number of equations.