Example of an Inseparable Polynomial .... Lovett, Page 371 ....

In summary: Therefore, they are equivalent polynomials.In summary, Example 7.7.4 from "Abstract Algebra: Structures and Applications" by Stephen Lovett showcases the concept of minimum polynomials in field extensions. The minimum polynomial for an element \alpha in a field extension F(\alpha) is the smallest degree monic polynomial in F[t] such that \alpha satisfies this polynomial. In this example, we see that the minimum polynomial for \sqrt[3]{2} in the field extension F(\sqrt[3]{2}) is m(t) = t^3 - x. Lovett also uses polynomial
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading "Abstract Algebra: Structures and Applications" by Stephen Lovett ...

I am currently focused on Chapter 7: Field Extensions ... ...

I need help with Example 7.7.4 on page 371 ...Example 7.7.4 reads as follows:
View attachment 6651
In the above text from Lovett we read the following:" ... ... The element \(\displaystyle \sqrt[3]{2} \notin F\) and \(\displaystyle \sqrt[3]{2}\) has minimal polynomial m\(\displaystyle m(t) = t^3 - x\).However,\(\displaystyle m(t) = t^3 - 3t^2 \sqrt[3]{2} + 3t x^{ 2/3 } - x = (t - \sqrt[3]{2} )^3 \)... ... ... ... "
My questions are as follows:
Question 1

How does Lovett establish that the minimum polynomial is

\(\displaystyle m(t) = t^3 - x\)?Indeed, what exactly is \(\displaystyle t\)? ... what is \(\displaystyle x\)? Which fields/rings do \(\displaystyle t,x\) belong to?[My apologies for asking basic questions ... but unsure of the nature of this example!]Question 2

How does Lovett establish that \(\displaystyle m(t) = t^3 - 3t^2 \sqrt[3]{2} + 3t x^{ 2/3 } - x = (t - \sqrt[3]{2} )^3\)
Help will be appreciated ...

Peter
[NOTE: I understand that the issues in this example are similar to those of other of my posts ... but ... for clarity and to avoid mixing/confusing conversational threads and issues I have decided to post this example separately ... ... ]

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello Peter,

Thank you for reaching out for help with Example 7.7.4 from "Abstract Algebra: Structures and Applications" by Stephen Lovett. I am happy to assist you in understanding this example better.

Firstly, let's define the terms used in this example. In this context, t and x are both variables, and they do not belong to any specific field or ring. They are simply used as symbols to represent elements in a field extension. The field extension is denoted by F(\sqrt[3]{2}), which means that we are extending the field F by adding the element \sqrt[3]{2} to it.

Now, let's move on to your first question. Lovett establishes that the minimum polynomial for \sqrt[3]{2} is m(t) = t^3 - x by using the definition of a minimum polynomial. The minimum polynomial for an element \alpha in a field extension F(\alpha) is the smallest degree monic polynomial in F[t] (the ring of polynomials with coefficients in F) such that \alpha satisfies this polynomial. In simpler terms, the minimum polynomial is the smallest polynomial that has \alpha as a root. In this example, \sqrt[3]{2} is the root of the polynomial t^3 - x, and it is the smallest degree monic polynomial with \sqrt[3]{2} as a root. Therefore, it is the minimum polynomial for \sqrt[3]{2} in the field extension F(\sqrt[3]{2}).

Moving on to your second question, Lovett establishes that m(t) = t^3 - 3t^2 \sqrt[3]{2} + 3t x^{ 2/3 } - x = (t - \sqrt[3]{2} )^3 by using polynomial division. He divides t^3 - 3t^2 \sqrt[3]{2} + 3t x^{ 2/3 } - x by t - \sqrt[3]{2} to get the remainder of 0. This means that (t - \sqrt[3]{2} ) is a factor of t^3 - 3t^2 \sqrt[3]{2} + 3t x^{ 2/3 } - x. In other words, (t - \sqrt[3]{2} )^3 divides t^3 - 3

Related to Example of an Inseparable Polynomial .... Lovett, Page 371 ....

1. What is an inseparable polynomial?

An inseparable polynomial is a type of polynomial that cannot be factored into distinct linear factors over a certain field. This means that the polynomial has multiple repeated roots and cannot be simplified any further.

2. How do you know if a polynomial is inseparable?

A polynomial is inseparable if and only if its derivative has a common factor with the original polynomial. In other words, if the derivative and the original polynomial share a common root, then the polynomial is inseparable.

3. What is the significance of inseparable polynomials in mathematics?

Inseparable polynomials have many applications in algebraic geometry and number theory. They are useful in studying the arithmetic properties of algebraic curves and surfaces, as well as in solving problems related to algebraic number fields.

4. Can an inseparable polynomial be factored at all?

Yes, an inseparable polynomial can still be factored into irreducible factors over a larger field. However, these factors may not be distinct linear factors and the polynomial will still have repeated roots.

5. Are there any well-known examples of inseparable polynomials?

Yes, one of the most well-known examples is the polynomial xp - a, where p is a prime number and a is an element of a field of characteristic p. This polynomial is inseparable and cannot be factored into distinct linear factors over the given field.