1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Example of entropy as function of temperature only

1. Nov 16, 2015 #1
    Hi, I know that changes in entropy can be expressed as a function of temperature, specific volume, and pressure using the fundamental equations of thermodynamics: ds = du/T+pdv/T, where the changes in entropy can be caused by either changing the specific volume or the internal energy.
    I also know that entropy itself can be expressed as s(T,v) or s(U,v) where U is possibly function of T and v itself? I was wondering if anyone knew of examples of where entropy itself, can be assumed to be dependent on temperature alone.
    Thank you in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2015 #2
    If entropy is a function of T and v, S(T, v), and v is constant, isn't S then a function of T alone?

4. Nov 16, 2015 #3
    ooops! Thanks!

5. Jan 16, 2016 #4
    Hi again, am I right that s(T) is a valid assumption for most liquids and solid because the intermolacular spacing is constant and hence changes in entropy due to changes in specific volume can be ignored?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook