Example of entropy as function of temperature only

In summary, the conversation discusses the fundamental equations of thermodynamics and the relationship between entropy and temperature, specific volume, and pressure. It is mentioned that entropy itself can be expressed as a function of temperature and specific volume, and the question is raised about whether there are cases where entropy is dependent on temperature alone. The answer is suggested to be yes for most liquids and solids due to the constant intermolecular spacing.
hoomanya
Hi, I know that changes in entropy can be expressed as a function of temperature, specific volume, and pressure using the fundamental equations of thermodynamics: ds = du/T+pdv/T, where the changes in entropy can be caused by either changing the specific volume or the internal energy.
I also know that entropy itself can be expressed as s(T,v) or s(U,v) where U is possibly function of T and v itself? I was wondering if anyone knew of examples of where entropy itself, can be assumed to be dependent on temperature alone.
Thank you in advance.

Science news on Phys.org
hoomanya said:
Hi, I know that changes in entropy can be expressed as a function of temperature, specific volume, and pressure using the fundamental equations of thermodynamics: ds = du/T+pdv/T, where the changes in entropy can be caused by either changing the specific volume or the internal energy.
I also know that entropy itself can be expressed as s(T,v) or s(U,v) where U is possibly function of T and v itself? I was wondering if anyone knew of examples of where entropy itself, can be assumed to be dependent on temperature alone.
Thank you in advance.

If entropy is a function of T and v, S(T, v), and v is constant, isn't S then a function of T alone?

Likes hoomanya
Dr. Courtney said:
If entropy is a function of T and v, S(T, v), and v is constant, isn't S then a function of T alone?

ooops! Thanks!

Hi again, am I right that s(T) is a valid assumption for most liquids and solid because the intermolacular spacing is constant and hence changes in entropy due to changes in specific volume can be ignored?

1. What is entropy as a function of temperature?

Entropy is a thermodynamic quantity that measures the amount of disorder or randomness in a system. As temperature increases, the entropy of a system also increases. This relationship is described by the second law of thermodynamics, which states that the total entropy of a closed system will always tend to increase over time.

2. How does entropy change with temperature?

In most cases, the entropy of a system will increase as temperature increases. This is because higher temperatures lead to more energetic and chaotic molecules, which results in a greater number of microstates (or possible arrangements) for the system. Therefore, the system has a higher level of disorder and therefore higher entropy.

3. Can entropy decrease with temperature?

In some cases, it is possible for the entropy of a system to decrease with temperature. This is seen in systems where there are strong intermolecular forces that hold the molecules in a well-ordered state at low temperatures. As the temperature increases, these forces weaken and the molecules become more disordered, resulting in an increase in entropy.

4. How is entropy related to energy and temperature?

Entropy and energy are closely related, as an increase in temperature means an increase in energy. This is because at higher temperatures, molecules have more kinetic energy and can move more freely, leading to a higher level of disorder and therefore higher entropy.

5. Why is entropy important in thermodynamics?

Entropy is an important concept in thermodynamics because it helps us understand the direction and spontaneity of chemical and physical processes. The second law of thermodynamics tells us that the total entropy of a closed system will always tend to increase over time. This means that in any spontaneous process, the total entropy of the universe must increase, which has important implications for the feasibility and efficiency of chemical reactions and energy conversion processes.