Positive Charge Magnetic Fields: Real World Examples

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of positive particle flow creating a magnetic field and whether there are any real-world examples of this phenomenon. The question also touches on the possibility of using this concept in a physics lab or for educational purposes. While there are some known examples, such as a positive charge in an accelerator, it is not commonly observed in typical physics labs.
Windadct
As a SP phenomena I thought this may be the best sub to post this.

We understand how current creates a magnetic field, and almost all forms of current are really electron flow. My question is - are there any known (real world) examples of positive particle flow, creating a magnetic field?

For example - if there is positive ion flow in an electrolyte - have people observed the expected / corresponding Magnetic field?

Or - if we have a positively charged piece of material, when we move it, can we easily detect the magnetic field it would create?

It seems like this should be "do able" but I have not seen it.

If - any examples of this being put to good use? ( Yes a positive charge in an accelerator is a case - but I am thinking of anything more commonly observed.)

Physics news on Phys.org
I was thinking more that is commonly observable - in typical physics lab.

If you transform a current carrying wire into the rest frame of the electrons then the magnetic field must be due to the motion of the protons. Figure out the electron drift velocity, mount the wire on a cart and your magnetometer on the bench?

Windadct said:
I was thinking more that is commonly observable - in typical physics lab.
Why? Are you a physics educator preparing an exercise for students? If so, please see the link I posted in my previous reply. It includes a discussion about the magnitude of the fields detected.

Hi. We can make a leaf electroscope in our laboratory charged positive. Then try moving it near compasses.

1. What are positive charge magnetic fields?

Positive charge magnetic fields are created when positively charged particles, such as protons, are in motion. These particles generate a magnetic field that can interact with other magnetic fields, causing attractive or repulsive forces.

2. What are some real-world examples of positive charge magnetic fields?

Some common examples of positive charge magnetic fields include the magnetic fields produced by the Earth and other planets, as well as the magnetic fields created by electric currents in power lines and electronic devices.

3. How are positive charge magnetic fields different from negative charge magnetic fields?

Positive charge magnetic fields are created by positively charged particles, while negative charge magnetic fields are created by negatively charged particles. These two types of magnetic fields have opposite polarities and can interact with each other to produce attractive or repulsive forces.

4. How are positive charge magnetic fields used in everyday life?

Positive charge magnetic fields have many practical applications in our daily lives. They are used in a variety of devices, such as motors, generators, and MRI machines. They are also used in the production and distribution of electricity.

5. Can positive charge magnetic fields be harmful to humans?

While positive charge magnetic fields are used in many technologies, there is currently no evidence to suggest that they are harmful to humans at the levels typically encountered in daily life. However, high levels of exposure to magnetic fields, such as those found near power lines, may have potential health risks and are still being studied.