Exercise on lenses (optics)

In summary, the object is placed 25 cm to the left of the diverging lens and a converging lens with a focal length of 12 cm is placed 30 cm to the right of the diverging lens. Using the equation 1/f = 1/v - 1/b, where f is the focal length, v is the image distance, and b is the object distance, the image distance for the converging lens was calculated to be 40.8 cm. However, the equation for the diverging lens is incorrect and the object and image distances need to be recalculated.
jones123

Homework Statement

An object is placed at 25 cm to the left of a diverging lens. A converging lens with a focal length of 12 cm is located 30 cm to the right of the diverging lens. The two-lenses-system forms a real inverted image 17 cm to the right of the converging lens (see attachment).

Homework Equations

What is the focal length of the diverging lens?

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that
1/f = 1/v - 1/b
For the converging lens I got:
1/12 = 1/v - 1/(-17) => v = 40.8 cm
For the diverging lens I got:
1/f = 1/40.8 - 1/(-30) => f = 17.29 cm

The correct answer should be -19 cm.

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• lens.png
    lens.png
    6.6 KB · Views: 474
Physics news on Phys.org
jones123 said:

Homework Statement

An object is placed at 25 cm to the left of a diverging lens. A converging lens with a focal length of 12 cm is located 30 cm to the right of the diverging lens. The two-lenses-system forms a real inverted image 17 cm to the right of the converging lens (see attachment).

Homework Equations

What is the focal length of the diverging lens?

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that
1/f = 1/v - 1/b
For the converging lens I got:
1/12 = 1/v - 1/(-17) => v = 40.8 cm
For the diverging lens I got:
1/f = 1/40.8 - 1/(-30) => f = 17.29 cm

The correct answer should be -19 cm.

Hi Jones123, welcome to PF.
The equation for the diverging lens is not correct. The object distance is 25 cm, and the image distance is also wrong. 40.8 cm is the distance from the converging lens, which is 30 cm to the right of the diverging one.

ehild

"For the diverging lens I got:
1/f = 1/40.8 - 1/(-30) => f = 17.29 cm" this is incorrect.
What is the object distance?
What is the image distance?

1. What are the different types of lenses used in optics?

There are two main types of lenses used in optics: convex lenses and concave lenses. Convex lenses are thicker in the middle and thinner at the edges, while concave lenses are thinner in the middle and thicker at the edges.

2. How does exercise affect the focal length of a lens?

Exercise can affect the focal length of a lens by changing the shape and position of the eye's lens. This can result in a change in the eye's ability to focus, causing the focal length to either increase or decrease.

3. Can exercising improve vision through the use of lenses?

Exercising alone cannot improve vision through the use of lenses. However, regular exercise can improve overall eye health and may delay the need for corrective lenses.

4. What are some common exercises to improve eye muscle strength?

Some common exercises to improve eye muscle strength include pencil push-ups, eye rolls, and focusing on objects at different distances. It is important to consult with an eye doctor before attempting any exercises to ensure they are appropriate for your specific needs.

5. How do lenses affect light rays and images?

Lenses work by bending and refracting light rays, which can change the direction and size of an image. Convex lenses converge light rays, making images appear larger, while concave lenses diverge light rays, making images appear smaller.