1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exhibit a function f

1. Apr 24, 2012 #1
    Use the Weierstrass Product Theorem to exhibit a function [itex]f[/itex] such that each positive integer [itex]n[/itex], [itex]f[/itex] has a pole of order [itex]n[/itex], and [itex]f[/itex] is analytic and nonzero at every other complex number

For [itex]f[/itex] to have a pole of order [itex]n[/itex], we have that [itex]f = \prod\limits_{n = 1}^{\infty}\left(1 - \frac{z}{z_n}\right)^{-1}e^{-P_n(z/z_n)}[/itex].
    Let [itex]z_n[/itex] be the [itex]\text{n}^{\text{th}}[/itex] term in the sequence, i.e. [itex]1, 2, 2, 3,\ldots[/itex].
    So taking [itex]k_n[/itex] to be 3, we have that (why is it 3?)
    $$
    \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{\left|z_n\right|^3} = \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n^2} < \infty
    $$
    which converges since we have a p-series of degree two.
    Now [itex]P_n\left(\dfrac{z}{z_n}\right) = \dfrac{z}{z_n} + \dfrac{\left(\frac{z}{z_n}\right)^2}{2} + \cdots + \dfrac{\left(\frac{z}{z_n}\right)^{k - 1}}{k - 1}[/itex] so the Weierstrass Product for [itex]k_n = 3[/itex] is

$$
    \prod_{n = 1}^{\infty}\left(1 - \frac{z}{z_n}\right)^{-1}e^{-\left[\frac{z}{z_n} + \left(\frac{z}{z_n}\right)^2/2\right]}
    $$

I was told that the above product can be simplified down. How?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2012 #2
    So looking at the product, we have
    $$
    \left[\left(1-\frac{z}{1}\right)^{-1}\left(1-\frac{z}{2}\right)^{-2}\cdots\left(1-\frac{z}{n}\right)^{-n}\cdots\right]\exp\left[-z-\frac{z}{2}-\cdots -\frac{z}{n} - \cdots + \frac{z^2}{2^2}+ \frac{z^2}{6} + \frac{z^2}{8}\cdots\right]
    $$

So can this be written as a different infinite product then from the final one I obtained?

All I see is
    $$
    \prod_{n=1}^{\infty}\left(1-\frac{z}{n}\right)^{-n}\exp\left[-\frac{z}{n}+\frac{z^2}{2^n}\right]
    $$
    but is this even the right observation?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook