Existence of quasi-euclidean spacelike hypersurfaces?

• Thread starter PAllen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Existence
In summary: It is independent of the choice of coordinates and seems to capture the essence of what you are trying to prove. In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of finding spacelike 3-regions that are quasi-euclidean in geometry in a smooth pseudo-riemannian manifold, specifically in the context of general relativity. Several definitions and scenarios are proposed, with the conclusion that it is possible to find such regions, with the exception of closed curves and singularities. The conversation also discusses the potential difficulties with defining these regions using coordinates and offers an alternative definition based on finding a spacelike orientable 3-surface that is locally euclidean.
PAllen
Science Advisor
I wonder if anyone knows or can figure out an answer to this question I've been thinking about:

In a smooth pseudo-riemannian manifold like those in GR, and given some arbitrarily long spacelike geodesic, is it always ( or almost always, e.g. except for passing through a singularity) possible to find some open spacelike 3-region containing the geodesic (possibly an exceedingly skinny region around the geodesic, as long as it is an open region) that is quasi-euclidean in geometry?

There may be a nicer defintion, but what I mean by a quasi-euclidean spacelike 3-region is that one can find some coordinate system on a spacetime (4) region containing the 3-region where:

1) one coordinate is zero throughout the 3-region
2) the 3x3 submetric corresponding to the other coordinates is positive definite throughout the 3-region.

Though phrased in coordinates, I believe this definition is coordinate independent; a given spacelike 3-region either has or does not have this property. Note, also, that even in Minkowski spacetime, it is trivial to construct spacelike 3-surfaces that are not quasi-euclidean (start with one that is and add sufficient bumps, but still keep it spacelike; you then can't achieve positive definite metric throughout - some areas will have negative metric components, brought in from the overall psuedo-riemmanion metric of the spacetime; if you squeeze them out in one area, you'll pick them up in another, no matter how you pick coordinates - as long as they are legitimate coordinates).

Physics news on Phys.org
Re passing through a singularity, the usual description is that a singularity isn't a point in the spacetime, so you really can't have a geodesic that passes through a singularity. In fact, one way of defining a singularity is that it's a place that you can't extend geodesics through.

If the geodesic is a closed curve, then you could have issues with orientability.

I think the coordinate-based definition doesn't really work because we're on a manifold, where it may not be able to define a coordinate patch that covers the whole space.

Maybe a better way to define the conjecture is by asking whether, for given simply connected geodesic γ in 3+1 dimensions, there exists an open neighborhood O of γ and a spacelike orientable 3-surface S that is a subset of O containing γ, such that S is locally euclidean based on the metric of the original spacetime.

I think the answer is yes. The fact that it's a geodesic prevents you from running into kinks. If γ had a kink in it at point P, then I don't think there could be an S that was locally euclidean at P.

[Made a few edits to the above after posting.]

Last edited:
Note, I believe the answer in SR is that you can find a one parameter family of global, exactly euclidean, spacelike 3-planes containing any spacelike geodesic. These correspond to the inertial frames in which ends of the geodesic are simultaneous.

I also think, in GR, one can find quasi-euclidean 3-regions in a sufficiently small ball including a section of the geodesic; and that, in GR, you generally cannot find any globally quasi-eucliden 3-planes at all. My question amounts to whether restricted to an arbitrarily small open tube around an arbitrary geodesic, one can find quasi-euclidean 3-regions.

Last edited:
bcrowell said:
If the geodesic is a closed curve, then this would be impossible in a spacetime that wasn't orientable.

I meant to say a geodesic between two different events. Thus, for a closed geodesic you would have to cut out some tiny piece of it.

bcrowell said:
I think the coordinate-based definition doesn't really work because we're on a manifold, where it may not be able to define a coordinate patch that covers the whole space.

That's a related question I had in mind. Looking some definitions of maximal atlases, but not have studied this material in detail, I was thinking you should always be able to find a coordinate patch containing some geodesic. Thinking about even extreme 2-surfaces, it seemed you could always find ribbon around a geodesic on which you could impose a single coordinate patch.

bcrowell said:
Maybe a better way to define the conjecture is by asking whether, for given simply connected geodesic γ in 3+1 dimensions, there exists an open neighborhood O of γ and a spacelike orientable 3-surface S that is a subset of O containing γ, such that S is locally euclidean based on the metric of the original spacetime.

Independent of whether the coordinate definition could be made to work, I like this much better.

1. What is a quasi-euclidean spacelike hypersurface?

A quasi-euclidean spacelike hypersurface is a mathematical concept used in the study of general relativity and spacetime. It is a hypersurface, or a three-dimensional space, within a four-dimensional spacetime that is characterized by a curvature that is close to being flat, or euclidean, and has a positive temporal direction.

2. How does the existence of quasi-euclidean spacelike hypersurfaces impact our understanding of spacetime?

The existence of quasi-euclidean spacelike hypersurfaces allows for the possibility of a non-compact, or infinite, universe. This challenges the previous belief that the universe must be finite and bounded. It also allows for the possibility of multiple universes or dimensions.

3. How do scientists study the existence of quasi-euclidean spacelike hypersurfaces?

Scientists use mathematical models and equations, such as the Einstein field equations, to analyze the properties and behavior of spacetime. They also use observational data, such as from gravitational wave detections, to test and refine these models.

4. What implications does the existence of quasi-euclidean spacelike hypersurfaces have for the future of space exploration?

The existence of quasi-euclidean spacelike hypersurfaces may lead to new theories and technologies for space travel and exploration. It also opens up the possibility of discovering new dimensions or parallel universes, which could greatly expand our understanding of the universe.

5. Are there any practical applications of studying the existence of quasi-euclidean spacelike hypersurfaces?

While the study of quasi-euclidean spacelike hypersurfaces is primarily theoretical, it has practical applications in fields such as astrophysics, cosmology, and gravitational physics. Understanding the properties of spacetime is crucial for predicting and explaining phenomena such as black holes, gravitational waves, and the expansion of the universe.