Expanding gravitational systems

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of an expanding universe and whether or not this expansion would affect all objects and systems within it. It is suggested that if the fundamental constants and measurements were to change in proportion, we may not even notice the expansion. However, it is also noted that this idea does not seem to work and has been discussed before. The question remains of whether or not the solar system, atoms, and other gravitational systems could also be expanding with the universe.
vinven7
Suppose that everything in the Universe - the radius of the sun, the astronomical units, radius of atoms, and everything else were to expand proportionately during the same period of time. This would mean also that the ratio of the time period of the various planets around the sun, and all local clocks, would also adjust their time accordingly.
Can an observer in such a universe make out that such an expansion were really happening? Wouldn't all his 'scales' and 'clocks' also be correspondingly changed to match this proportion? I suppose we can assume without loss of generality that such an expansion is very very slow.

Space news on Phys.org
How do you define such an expansion? Expand relative to what?

You can "expand" all length values to ten times their numerical value in meters just by changing the definition of the length of one meter, but did that really expand the solar system?

I was thinking about Dirac's Large number hypothesis and it struck me that if all the fundamental constants were to change their values in proportion, then we would not notice it at all. Any thoughts on this?

Last edited by a moderator:
There are dimensionless fundamental constants. They are independent of our unit systems. If they would change, we would notice. Ratios between particle masses, for example.

Thanks! I guess that does answer my question.

So then, is it possible that such an expansion is happening along with the expansion of the universe as we see it today? ie, as the galaxies move away from each other, could it be that the solar system, the atom, the sun etc is also expanding? This is not the same question as whether gravitationally bound systems expand with the universe - the Earth for example does not move further away from the sun; that would be true only if the radii of the sun and the Earth were to remain the same while the distance between them changes. But if the radii of the Earth and the sun were to change along with the distance between them, how do we find this out?

vinven7 said:
Thanks! I guess that does answer my question.

So then, is it possible that such an expansion is happening along with the expansion of the universe as we see it today? ie, as the galaxies move away from each other, could it be that the solar system, the atom, the sun etc is also expanding? This is not the same question as whether gravitationally bound systems expand with the universe - the Earth for example does not move further away from the sun; that would be true only if the radii of the sun and the Earth were to remain the same while the distance between them changes. But if the radii of the Earth and the sun were to change along with the distance between them, how do we find this out?
We get this question about once a month. It doesn't work. Try a forum search.

Related to Expanding gravitational systems

1. What is an expanding gravitational system?

An expanding gravitational system refers to a group of objects, such as stars and galaxies, that are bound together by gravity and are moving away from each other due to the expansion of the universe.

2. How does the expansion of the universe affect gravitational systems?

The expansion of the universe causes the space between objects in a gravitational system to increase, leading to a decrease in the strength of their gravitational interactions. This can lead to changes in the orbits and movements of objects within the system.

3. Can expanding gravitational systems merge with other systems?

Yes, expanding gravitational systems can merge with other systems, such as galaxies colliding and merging to form larger galaxies. However, the merging process can take a very long time, as the expansion of the universe slows down the merging process.

4. How do scientists study expanding gravitational systems?

Scientists study expanding gravitational systems using various methods, such as observing the movements and interactions of objects within the system, measuring the redshift of galaxies to determine their distance and speed, and using computer simulations to model the evolution of gravitational systems.

5. What implications do expanding gravitational systems have for the future of the universe?

The expansion of gravitational systems suggests that the universe will continue to expand indefinitely, and the gravitational interactions between objects will weaken over time. This could lead to the eventual separation and isolation of galaxies, and a potential end to the formation of new stars and planets.