Expansion Rate of the Universe

In summary: So, it's not a matter of curvature causing us to conclude that the universe is accelerating when it's really not. If the universe is accelerating, then the evidence is that it's accelerating.In summary, the expansion of the universe is not just a matter of curvature or geometry, but a conclusion based on observations and the best current model of the universe.
PK is a fool
TL;DR Summary
Hi guys,
I don't have a clue what I am talking about really but have been thinking about the exponential expansion of the universe. I just thought that if the universe was actually curved positively, that the redshift phenomenon would be observed at an accelerating rate due to the surface of a sphere increasing even if that sphere is actually expanding at a constant or even in a state of deceleration.
I hope that you can put my mind at ease with a simple answer.
I hope that I am conveying what I see in my head clearly. I guess that I am visually imagining the 3 spatial dimensions projected on the 2d surface of a sphere and as that sphere expands that the increased distance between 2 points would happen what seems like at an accelerating rate because of geometry. Like if the radius of the sphere itself was increasing at a constant rate, that the distancd between 2 points on the circumference would increase at a faster and exponential rate.
Could the expansion of the universe actually be constant or even decelerating, but just observed on a curved path as an increased redshift of light v distance due to curvature?
I hope that this makes some sort of sense and please be kind with your responses. I think about this stuff all the time and this the first time I'm asking anyone else about something.

Space news on Phys.org
PK is a fool said:
Summary::

Could the expansion of the universe actually be constant or even decelerating, but just observed on a curved path as an increased redshift of light v distance due to curvature?

So are you asking that Universe is not accelerating but the curvature of the universe effects redshift ? So that it seems to us universe is expanding ?

Hi PK, and welcome.

PK is a fool said:
Like if the radius of the sphere itself was increasing at a constant rate, that the distancd between 2 points on the circumference would increase at a faster and exponential rate.
The circumference of a sphere is ##2\pi R##. More generally, the length of an arc along the circumference is ##\theta R##, where ##\theta## is arc angle in radians. I.e., the distance between any two points on the surface of a sphere grows linearly with its radius, not exponentially.

In any case, expansion of the universe concerns behaviour of distances within the universe (i.e. on the surface of the sphere in this analogy). If the distances are observed to be growing, then they're growing. Whatever happens in higher-dimensions that may or may not exist does not affect the observation that's already been made.

PK is a fool said:

The short answer is, no.

The slightly longer answer is, when cosmologists say the expansion of the universe is accelerating, they are not talking about "raw" direct observations. They are talking about a conclusion they have come to after looking at not just the raw data but the best current model of the universe that that data leads us to. That best current model, when making predictions about things like observed redshifts of light from distant galaxies, already takes into account the spacetime geometry, and therefore includes all effects of spacetime curvature on the paths of light rays and their brightness.

What is the expansion rate of the Universe?

The expansion rate of the Universe, also known as the Hubble constant, is a measure of how fast the Universe is expanding. It is currently estimated to be around 70 kilometers per second per megaparsec (km/s/Mpc). This means that for every megaparsec (3.26 million light years) of distance, the Universe is expanding by 70 kilometers per second.

How is the expansion rate of the Universe measured?

The expansion rate of the Universe is measured using a variety of methods, including observations of the cosmic microwave background, the brightness of supernovae, and the distribution of galaxies. These observations allow scientists to calculate the rate at which objects in the Universe are moving away from each other.

Has the expansion rate of the Universe always been the same?

No, the expansion rate of the Universe has not always been the same. In fact, it has been increasing over time. This is due to the presence of dark energy, a mysterious force that is causing the expansion of the Universe to accelerate.

What is the significance of the expansion rate of the Universe?

The expansion rate of the Universe is significant because it helps us understand the history and fate of the Universe. By studying the expansion rate, scientists can gain insight into the age of the Universe, its composition, and its ultimate fate.

Could the expansion rate of the Universe change in the future?

It is possible that the expansion rate of the Universe could change in the future. The exact nature of dark energy and its effects on the expansion of the Universe are still not fully understood, so it is difficult to predict what the expansion rate will be in the distant future. However, current observations suggest that the expansion rate will continue to increase, leading to a "Big Rip" scenario in which the Universe expands at an exponential rate and tears apart all matter and energy.