Expectation Values - Quantum Calculations

In summary, the equations given in Section 2 are correct for calculating the expectation values of position and momentum. However, using Ehrenfest's theorem to find the momentum-expectation value is not as straightforward as initially thought and requires plugging in the solution of the time dependent Schrödinger equation. Additionally, any inconsistencies in the derivatives may be due to simple mistakes.
xWaffle

Homework Statement

[itex]\Psi (x) = C e^{i k_{0} x} e^{\frac{-x^{2}}{2 a^{2}}}[/itex]

Find [itex]\left\langle x \right\rangle, \left\langle x^{2} \right\rangle, \left\langle p \right\rangle, \left\langle p^{2} \right\rangle.[/itex]

Homework Equations

Operators make a "psi-sandwich":
[itex]\left\langle x \right\rangle = \int_{- \infty}^{\infty} \Psi^{*} \left( x)\right) \Psi[/itex]
[itex]\left\langle x^{2} \right\rangle = \int_{- \infty}^{\infty} \Psi^{*} \left( x^{2}\right)\Psi[/itex]
[itex]\left\langle p \right\rangle = \int_{- \infty}^{\infty} \Psi^{*} \left( \frac{\hbar}{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\right)\Psi[/itex]
[itex]\left\langle p^{2} \right\rangle = \int_{- \infty}^{\infty} \Psi^{*} \left( \frac{\hbar}{i} \frac{\partial}{\partial x}\right)^{2}\Psi[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I found <x> to be zero, because of an odd-integrand. (Multiplying psi by psi* in the integrand to simplify). I did the same thing for <x2>, except the integrand was not odd this time because of the x^2 in there. Using a special Gaussian integral formula listed in my book, I was also easily able to find <x2> = x2 / 2.

Since <p> is just m*(d<x> / dt), <p> is also zero in this case.

For <p^2>, I take the second derivative of psi, and multiply this result by psi*.

But when finalizing all the derivatives and simplification in the integrand for <p2>, there is always an i left over (I don't think there should be an i in the momentum..), and the integral is not easily doable (where the professor has said all integrals needed will be listed in the back cover of our book).

So I must conclude that my approach is fundamentally wrong, even though I'm using the equations I have been given.

I have found in a separate part of the question the constant [itex]C = \sqrt{\frac{1}{\sqrt{\pi} a}}[/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The expectation value of an observable is given by
[tex]\langle A \rangle=\int_{\mathbb{R}} \mathrm{d} x \psi^*(\vec{x}) \hat{A} \psi(\vec{x}),[/tex]
where [itex]\hat{A}[/itex] is the operator representing the observable in position representation. Your equations given under Sect. 2 are all correct. However, you where somewhat too quickly arguing ;-)).

The idea to use Ehrenfest's theorem to get the momentum-expectation value is correct in principle, but you forgot that you haven't calculated the expectation value of the position as a function of time but only at a single instant of time. To evaluate expectation values as a function of time you must plug in the solution of the time dependent Schrödinger equation. Then you'd get the correct result, but that's much more complicated than just evaluating the expectation values as given in Sect. 2!

All other trouble must be simple mistakes in taking the derivatives. Of course, the expectation value of the momentum must be real, because [itex]\hat{p}=-\mathrm{i} \hbar \partial_x[/itex] is an essentially self-adjoint operator on the Hilbert space of square integrable position-wave functions!

1. What is an expectation value in quantum mechanics?

An expectation value in quantum mechanics is the average value of a physical quantity that is predicted by a quantum mechanical wave function. It is calculated by taking the integral of the product of the wave function and the operator corresponding to the physical quantity.

2. How is an expectation value different from a classical average?

An expectation value takes into account the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics, while a classical average is based on deterministic values. In quantum mechanics, the square of the wave function gives the probability of finding a particle in a certain state, and the expectation value is the average of all possible outcomes weighted by their respective probabilities.

3. What does the uncertainty principle have to do with expectation values?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This is due to the fact that measuring one of these quantities affects the other. The expectation value of the position and momentum operators can be used to calculate the uncertainties in these quantities.

4. How are expectation values useful in quantum mechanics?

Expectation values allow us to make predictions about the behavior of quantum systems, such as the average energy of a particle in a certain state or the average position of a particle in a potential well. They also provide a way to compare the results of experiments with the predictions of quantum mechanics.

5. Is it possible for an expectation value to have a physical meaning?

Yes, an expectation value can have a physical meaning. For example, the expectation value of the energy operator corresponds to the average energy of a particle in a certain state. It can also be used to calculate physical quantities such as the average position or momentum of a particle in a given system.