1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expected Value - Please Help

1. Nov 19, 2006 #1
    Expected Value -- Please Help

I have this question that is bugging me to death. Ok here it is:

If a coin was flipped a maxium number times of five. What is the expected value for the number of flips required to get either 3 heads or 3 tails.

I know the probability of head or tails is 0.5 and I am not sure where to go from this.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Look at the probability of getting 3 heads or 3 tails if you flip the coin once, twice, three times, four times, five times.
  4. Nov 20, 2006 #3
    Okay, I think I can help you with this one, but I'll leave the solving up to you. Think about it your p.d.f. of this function - it's binary, isn't it? In other words, if you define "success" to be getting HEADS on a given flip, then "failure" is not getting HEADS, right? So:

[tex]P("success") = p = \frac{1}{2}[/tex] and [tex]P("failure") = 1 - p = 1 - \frac{1}{2} = \frac{1}{2}[/tex].

Now, since x has a binary pdf, we know that:

[tex]P(X=x) = f(x) = \left(\begin{array}{c}n\\x\end{array}\right)p^x(1-p)^{n-x}[/tex]

It should be pretty straightforward from there... n is obviously the number of trials that you're doing, which I think you said was 5. x is the number of desired outcomes that you're looking for (so in your case, x=3).

Now, if you're looking for expected value of x, then you should know that's just:

[tex]\sum_{all x} x f(x) [/tex]

You can figure that one out...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?