Experiment with angular acceleration

In summary, the speaker has conducted an experiment to determine the angular acceleration of a rotating cylinder by dropping a weight attached to it. They have calculated an average angular acceleration weighted over their uncertainties, but are unsure how to figure out the uncertainty for this estimated value. They are seeking clarification on how to do so.
aaaa202
I'm not sure if this goes in there since it's a question about an experiment involving classical mechanics.
So I've done an experiment where I have determined for a rotating cylinder, its angular acceleration as I let a weight attached to it drop. Now each of these angular accelerations have an uncertainty, and I want to figure out the best estimation for the angular acceleration. What I did was to make an average over the angular acceleration weighted over their uncertainties. This is correct right? - I'm pretty sure, that's how it's done.
My problem is however, that I now don't know how to figure out the uncertainty for this estimated angular acceleration - how do I do that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Now each of these angular accelerations have an uncertainty, and I want to figure out the best estimation for the angular acceleration.

After this, I don't know what your explanation(s) means.

one approach:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mean_squared_error

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate at which an object's angular velocity changes over time. It is a measure of how quickly an object's rotational speed is increasing or decreasing.

2. How is angular acceleration calculated?

Angular acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. The equation for angular acceleration is α = (ω2 - ω1)/(t2 - t1), where α is angular acceleration, ω is angular velocity, and t is time.

3. What factors affect angular acceleration?

The factors that affect angular acceleration include the force applied to the object, the object's moment of inertia (which depends on its shape and mass distribution), and the object's initial angular velocity.

4. How can angular acceleration be changed?

Angular acceleration can be changed by altering the force applied to the object, changing the object's moment of inertia, or changing the object's initial angular velocity. These changes can be achieved through various experimental methods, such as changing the mass or shape of the object, or applying different types of forces.

5. Why is studying angular acceleration important?

Studying angular acceleration is important because it helps us understand how rotational motion works and how objects move and behave in a circular or curved path. It is also crucial in many real-world applications, such as designing vehicles and machines, understanding the motion of celestial bodies, and studying the dynamics of sports and games.