Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Experimental work to prove that the Drag Coefficient of a sphere is 0.5

1. Apr 25, 2008 #1
    Is there any experiments I could do to prove that the Drag Coefficient of a Sphere is more or less 0.5 depending on the roughness of the sphere?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2008 #2

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The obvious question- do you have access to a wind tunnel?

Other than that, it might be possible to levitate the sphere in a vertical tube with air blowing through at its terminal velocity, or perhaps drop the sphere a long distance and measure its fall time very precisely, and compare that time to a calculated fall times with and without drag?

4. Apr 25, 2008 #3

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I recognize your name now... Isn't this basically a repost of your previous thread?

5. Apr 25, 2008 #4
    Yeah I have access to a wind tunnel...

It's not a repost since I've decided now to focus on proving that the drag coefficient of a sphere is 0.5. The only thing I need to think of is an experiment to measure the drag force...but can't come up with one :mad:

6. Apr 25, 2008 #5

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How about some strain gauges?

7. Apr 26, 2008 #6
    You can measure the flow velocity behind the ball using a pitot at several locations that you can calculate the momentum change which is equal to the drag force so you divide that by D*rho*V^2*0.5 and you will probably get a value near 0.5 (plus or minus 0.5).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?