1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Experts please: Review of Pulsed Plasma Electric Motor Patent

1. Sep 25, 2003 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2003 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Well for starters:
    Since you can get a copy of the patent from the USPTO, you're paying for the guys signature. No thanks.

Second, the claims:
    Yeah, right.

HERE is a link to the patent. This is the abstract:
    This falls into the catagory of what I would generally dismiss offhand because it just "smells" like BS. The claims are absurd and though I'm not a high energy physicist, I'm reasonably intelligent and the abstract sounds like technobabble.

But here's the dead giveway: note, the last few words: "furthermore is the unique presence of system negative entropy." Negative entropy in a closed system? Uh, no. So he pulled a fast one on the USPTO. They are swamped and it happens more than you might think. If I had to guess, this is another copy of the Farnsworth tabletop fusion reactor that Greg made a thread about; repackaged with enough technobabble to fool a patent evaluator.

4. Sep 26, 2003 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Re: Experts please: Review of Pulsed Plasma Electric Motor Patent

Last edited: Sep 26, 2003
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?