Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Experts please: Review of Pulsed Plasma Electric Motor Patent

1. Sep 25, 2003 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2003 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Well for starters:
    Since you can get a copy of the patent from the USPTO, you're paying for the guys signature. No thanks.

Second, the claims:
    Yeah, right.

HERE is a link to the patent. This is the abstract:
    This falls into the catagory of what I would generally dismiss offhand because it just "smells" like BS. The claims are absurd and though I'm not a high energy physicist, I'm reasonably intelligent and the abstract sounds like technobabble.

But here's the dead giveway: note, the last few words: "furthermore is the unique presence of system negative entropy." Negative entropy in a closed system? Uh, no. So he pulled a fast one on the USPTO. They are swamped and it happens more than you might think. If I had to guess, this is another copy of the Farnsworth tabletop fusion reactor that Greg made a thread about; repackaged with enough technobabble to fool a patent evaluator.

4. Sep 26, 2003 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Re: Experts please: Review of Pulsed Plasma Electric Motor Patent

Last edited: Sep 26, 2003
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?