Explain how any square matrix A can be written as

In summary: That would be correct.Well I don't know how to show this, but I have a feeling that the product of an orthogonal matrix and a positive semidefinite matrix is positive semi definite... But alas I can't think of a way to reason this out. I'm no good at these matrix manipulation proofs it...
macaholic

Homework Statement

a) Explain how any square matrix A can be written as

[itex] A = QS [/itex]
where Q is orthogonal and S is symmetric positive semidefinite.

b) Is it possible to write

[itex] A = S_1 Q_1 [/itex]
Where Q1 is orthogonal and S1 is symmetric positive definite?

Homework Equations

[itex] A = U \Sigma V^T [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For a) I've gotten to the point where I've written:

[itex] A = U V^T V \Sigma V^T [/itex]

Which is just a rearrangement of the single value decomposition. From this I believe there is some logic as to why U V^T is orthogonal, and VΣV^T is symmetric positive definite, but I can't seem to figure out the reasoning. Any pointers?

For b) I've surmised this is possible given that it is simply the "left polar decomposition" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_decomposition) But again, I can't think about how to show this mathematically.

Physics news on Phys.org
macaholic said:

Homework Statement

a) Explain how any square matrix A can be written as

[itex] A = QS [/itex]
where Q is orthogonal and S is symmetric positive semidefinite.

b) Is it possible to write

[itex] A = S_1 Q_1 [/itex]
Where Q1 is orthogonal and S1 is symmetric positive definite?

Homework Equations

[itex] A = U \Sigma V^T [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For a) I've gotten to the point where I've written:

[itex] A = U V^T V \Sigma V^T [/itex]

Which is just a rearrangement of the single value decomposition. From this I believe there is some logic as to why U V^T is orthogonal, and VΣV^T is symmetric positive definite, but I can't seem to figure out the reasoning. Any pointers?

For b) I've surmised this is possible given that it is simply the "left polar decomposition" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_decomposition) But again, I can't think about how to show this mathematically.

Try and show the product of two orthogonal transformations is orthogonal. What's the definition of orthogonal? Ditto for the second part. What's the definition of positive semidefinite? Definitions are a great place to start.

Last edited:
Dick said:
Try and show the product of two orthogonal transformations is orthogonal. What's the definition of orthogonal? Ditto for the second part. What's the definition of positive semidefinite? Definitions are a great place to start.
Okay well can I start by saying U and V^T are both orthogonal? I think they are, right? If so, does this work?:
[itex](UV^T)^T=VU^T [/itex]
[itex](UV^T)((UV^T)^T) = UV^T VU^T = UIU^T=UU^T=I[/itex]

I'm not sure what to do about a good definition for positive semidefinite :/. The only one I know is that the eigenvalues are all 0 or positive. How can I use that on the second series of matrices?

macaholic said:
Okay well can I start by saying U and V^T are both orthogonal? I think they are, right? If so, does this work?:

I'm not sure what to do about a good definition for positive semidefinite :/. The only one I know is that the eigenvalues are all 0 or positive. How can I use that on the second series of matrices?

Yes, that shows your first factor is orthogonal. For the second one the definition I'm thinking of is that a matrix Q is positive semidefinite if x^TQx>=0 for all vectors x.

Dick said:
Yes, that shows your first factor is orthogonal. For the second one the definition I'm thinking of is that a matrix Q is positive semidefinite if x^TQx>=0 for all vectors x.

So I have to show that [itex] x^T(V\Sigma V^T x) \geq 0[/itex]?
hmm... I'm not sure how to show this.
I know [itex]\Sigma[/itex] has all diagonal entries... and I know that [itex]V, V^T[/itex] are orthogonal. I can't seem to think of how that helps me though :/

macaholic said:
So I have to show that [itex] x^T(V\Sigma V^T x) \geq 0[/itex]?
hmm... I'm not sure how to show this.
I know [itex]\Sigma[/itex] has all diagonal entries... and I know that [itex]V, V^T[/itex] are orthogonal. I can't seem to think of how that helps me though :/

The singular value decomposition tells you can pick [itex]\Sigma[/itex] to be positive semidefinite, since it has all nonnegative entries along the diagonal. Try to use the definition I gave you.

Oh, right. So it would become a matter of showing that the [itex]V\Sigma V^T [/itex] yields a matrix that's also positive semidefinite?

macaholic said:
Oh, right. So it would become a matter of showing that the [itex]V\Sigma V^T [/itex] yields a matrix that's also positive semidefinite?

That would be correct.

Well I don't know how to show this, but I have a feeling that the product of an orthogonal matrix and a positive semidefinite matrix is positive semi definite... But alas I can't think of a way to reason this out. I'm no good at these matrix manipulation proofs it seems.

macaholic said:
Well I don't know how to show this, but I have a feeling that the product of an orthogonal matrix and a positive semidefinite matrix is positive semi definite... But alas I can't think of a way to reason this out. I'm no good at these matrix manipulation proofs it seems.

You want to show x^T(VΣV^T)x≥0. Regroup that. I think you can do it. (V^T)x is just 'any vector'.

OH wait I think I may have something...
I know that [itex]V\Sigma V^T = \Sigma[/itex] (I can't figure how to show this though...)
So that makes my inequality [itex]x^T(\Sigma x) \geq 0 [/itex]
Was that at least one of the right steps? Though I can't justify the first part...

macaholic said:
OH wait I think I may have something...
I know that [itex]V\Sigma V^T = \Sigma[/itex] (I can't figure how to show this though...)
So that makes my inequality [itex]x^T(\Sigma x) \geq 0 [/itex]
Was that at least one of the right steps? Though I can't justify the first part...

No, they aren't equal. But if [itex]x^T(\Sigma x) \geq 0 [/itex] is true for ANY x, then it must also be true if you replace x with [itex]V^T x[/itex], right?

macaholic said:

The _definition_ of positive semidefinite is that x^T A x >= 0 for any x in R^n. One *consequence* of that is: a symmetric matrix is positive semidefinite if and only if its eigenvalues are >= 0. This is a theorem, not a definition.

Related to Explain how any square matrix A can be written as

1. What is a square matrix?

A square matrix is a matrix with an equal number of rows and columns. In other words, it has the same number of elements in each row as it does in each column. This is different from a rectangular matrix, which has a different number of rows and columns.

2. What does it mean to "write a matrix as"?

Writing a matrix as a specific form or structure means to rearrange the elements of the matrix in a certain way. This is often done to make the matrix easier to work with or to highlight certain properties of the matrix.

3. What is the "any" in the phrase "any square matrix A" referring to?

The "any" in this phrase refers to the fact that this method of writing a square matrix applies to all square matrices, regardless of their size or specific elements.

4. Can you provide an example of writing a square matrix as a specific form?

Sure, let's say we have the square matrix A = [1 2; 3 4]. We can write it as a diagonal matrix by simply rearranging the elements in a diagonal line: A = [1 0; 0 4]. This form is useful because it makes it easy to find the determinant of the matrix.

5. Why is it important to be able to write a square matrix as a specific form?

Being able to write a square matrix as a specific form can help us understand and analyze the matrix better. Certain forms may have special properties that can aid in solving problems or making calculations. It also allows us to manipulate the matrix in a more efficient way.