1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Explain how any square matrix A can be written as

1. Nov 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a) Explain how any square matrix A can be written as

[itex] A = QS [/itex]
    where Q is orthogonal and S is symmetric positive semidefinite.

b) Is it possible to write

[itex] A = S_1 Q_1 [/itex]
    Where Q1 is orthogonal and S1 is symmetric positive definite?

2. Relevant equations

[itex] A = U \Sigma V^T [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

For a) I've gotten to the point where I've written:

[itex] A = U V^T V \Sigma V^T [/itex]

Which is just a rearrangement of the single value decomposition. From this I believe there is some logic as to why U V^T is orthogonal, and VΣV^T is symmetric positive definite, but I can't seem to figure out the reasoning. Any pointers?

For b) I've surmised this is possible given that it is simply the "left polar decomposition" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_decomposition) But again, I can't think about how to show this mathematically.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try and show the product of two orthogonal transformations is orthogonal. What's the definition of orthogonal? Ditto for the second part. What's the definition of positive semidefinite? Definitions are a great place to start.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  4. Nov 29, 2012 #3
    Okay well can I start by saying U and V^T are both orthogonal? I think they are, right? If so, does this work?:
    [itex](UV^T)^T=VU^T [/itex]
    [itex](UV^T)((UV^T)^T) = UV^T VU^T = UIU^T=UU^T=I[/itex]

I'm not sure what to do about a good definition for positive semidefinite :/. The only one I know is that the eigenvalues are all 0 or positive. How can I use that on the second series of matrices?

5. Nov 29, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, that shows your first factor is orthogonal. For the second one the definition I'm thinking of is that a matrix Q is positive semidefinite if x^TQx>=0 for all vectors x.

6. Nov 29, 2012 #5
    So I have to show that [itex] x^T(V\Sigma V^T x) \geq 0[/itex]?
    hmm... I'm not sure how to show this.
    I know [itex]\Sigma[/itex] has all diagonal entries... and I know that [itex]V, V^T[/itex] are orthogonal. I can't seem to think of how that helps me though :/

7. Nov 29, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The singular value decomposition tells you can pick [itex]\Sigma[/itex] to be positive semidefinite, since it has all nonnegative entries along the diagonal. Try to use the definition I gave you.

8. Nov 30, 2012 #7
    Oh, right. So it would become a matter of showing that the [itex]V\Sigma V^T [/itex] yields a matrix that's also positive semidefinite?

9. Nov 30, 2012 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That would be correct.

10. Nov 30, 2012 #9
    Well I don't know how to show this, but I have a feeling that the product of an orthogonal matrix and a positive semidefinite matrix is positive semi definite... But alas I can't think of a way to reason this out. I'm no good at these matrix manipulation proofs it seems.

11. Nov 30, 2012 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You want to show x^T(VΣV^T)x≥0. Regroup that. I think you can do it. (V^T)x is just 'any vector'.

12. Nov 30, 2012 #11
    OH wait I think I may have something...
    I know that [itex]V\Sigma V^T = \Sigma[/itex] (I can't figure how to show this though...)
    So that makes my inequality [itex]x^T(\Sigma x) \geq 0 [/itex]
    Was that at least one of the right steps? Though I can't justify the first part...

13. Nov 30, 2012 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, they aren't equal. But if [itex]x^T(\Sigma x) \geq 0 [/itex] is true for ANY x, then it must also be true if you replace x with [itex]V^T x[/itex], right?

14. Nov 30, 2012 #13

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The _definition_ of positive semidefinite is that x^T A x >= 0 for any x in R^n. One *consequence* of that is: a symmetric matrix is positive semidefinite if and only if its eigenvalues are >= 0. This is a theorem, not a definition.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook