1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Explain how postulates are synthesized into Special Relativity?

1. Dec 4, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

List two postulates of special relativity and then in your own words explain how these two statements are synthesized in Einstein's theory.

2. Relevant equations

1. The laws of physics are the same in all inertial reference frames.
    2. Light propagates through a vacuum with a speed C, no matter the state of motion other light source.

3. The attempt at a solution

To my understanding Einstein's theory is already comprised of these two postulates. I am not understanding how to explain the synthesization.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2016 #2

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

Special relativity incorporates things such as time dilation, length contraction, etc. If I had to guess, I would say you are supposed to make the connection from (c is constant in all inertial frames) + (physics is physics in all inertial frames) ##\to## time dilation, for example.

4. Dec 5, 2016 #3
    C and the laws of physics are they same in all inertial frames:sorry:

5. Dec 6, 2016 #4

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

If I say c is the same in all inertial frames, how does that lead to time dilation? Think light clock.

6. Dec 6, 2016 #5
    I was giving you the answer to my question, i found it. You were right as well. I'm lost when you mention time dilationo_O

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted