1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Explain magnets at the subatomic level to me?

1. Aug 13, 2009 #1
    Can someone explain magnets at the subatomic level to me? According to wikipedia, many of the electrons' spins are oriented in the same direction; what happened to the Pauli exclusion principle? Is it something to do with the electrons being delocalized that changes the other quantum numbers? Is a single atom of hydrogen magnetic?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi kashiark! :smile:

The Pauli exclusion principle will only apply to electrons around the same nucleus …

they can't be in the same states …

but electrons round different nuclei are in different states anyway. :wink:

4. Aug 14, 2009 #3
    Re: Magnets?

Wiki notes at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetism

If you read the above reference you'll find that "magnetic" vs "non magnetic" does not have a precise line of demarcation. My guess is that if you put almost any atom or particle in a strong enough magnetic field it will align itself at least in part with the magnetic field due to either electric charge, spin, or other factors.

Hydrogen would likely not make a good permanent magnet for use in a simple electric motor.

5. Aug 14, 2009 #4
    Re: Magnets?

What exactly is a magnetic moment? How does the spin of a single electron create a magnetic field when it spins?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook