1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Electron Spin and current-induced magnetic fields

1. May 12, 2017 #1
    Hi,

I'm currently investigating magnetic fields/their cause. This has inevitably led me to learn all about electrons. Here I want to post my understanding on electron 'spin' so people can correct me if I'm wrong/help others get a better understanding.

So I watched this YouTube video for research:

From what I understand, 'electron spin' is not an actual spin, but which way an electron attracts/repels. Since electrons exist as quantum particle clouds (and in the video it describes electrons as infinitely small points at ~7:20) 'spin' isn't really a thing they do.

Essentially half electrons attract one way and half attract the other. It doesn't matter which orientation they are being tested in: it will always be roughly 50/50.

This leads onto a big question: in a wire where electrons travel, why does the magnetic field induced always go anticlockwise if the electron current is flowing towards you? Surely if quantum mechanics dictates a 50/50 on electron spin, wouldn't it be a 50/50 chance the magnetic field would spin the other way?

field-pattern-of-straight-w1.gif
    Maybe there's an answer to this or maybe this is one of science's yet-to-be-answered questions. It would be useful to know why if possible though.

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2017 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is not a very accurate description. The spin is the electron angular momentum. The electron's magnetic dipole moment is proportional to its spin.

The magnetic field of a wire that carries a current is not due to the spin of the electrons, it is due to their motion.

4. May 13, 2017 #3

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

The magnetic field in a current-carrying wire is caused by the motion of the charges, not their spin. The full explanation delves into special relativity and gets very counter-intuitive though, so don't expect an easy answer if you're trying to find the fundamental reason that a magnetic field is created.

5. May 13, 2017 #4
    Thanks for clearing that up for me- are there any good links for reading into this?

6. May 14, 2017 #5

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted