Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Explain the difference between these square roots

1. Feb 18, 2009 #1
    Hey guys, I was just wondering what the difference between these two statements are:

V¯(x) = ± 4

V¯(x) = - 4 ---> does not exist.

This is the quote from my text, "...we remind you of a very important agreement in mathematics. The square root sign V¯ always means take the positive square root of whatever is under it. For instance, V¯(4) = 2, it is not equal to -2, only 2. Keep this in mind in this section, and always. "

Maybe I've been staring at the pages too long, but how is (4) different from (-2)²? And why can we right ± 2, but not -2? I know this is basic but I'm embarrassingly confused about this.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2009 #2
    [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex] means the positive square root of x (this way you can refer to [itex] \sqrt{x}[/itex] and only be talking about a single number, not two numbers). If the author says [itex]\sqrt{16}=\pm 4[/itex], he is just making the point that both [itex]4^2[/itex] and [itex](-4)^2[/itex] equal 16, however the correct notation is[itex]\pm \sqrt{16}=\pm 4[/itex].

4. Feb 18, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

As qntty said, the first, [tex]\sqrt{4}= \pm 2[/itex] is simply wrong. [tex]\sqrt{4}= 2[/tex] because [tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex] is defined as the positive number y such that [tex]y^2= x[/tex]. That is why we must write the solution to [tex]x^2= a[/tex] as [itex]\pm\sqrt{a}[/itex]- because [itex]\sqrt{a}[/itex] does not include "[tex]\pm[/tex]".

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  5. Feb 20, 2009 #4
    And also because that we wish that square-root should be a "function", and for being a function it has to be defined like that only. By definition, a function takes a value from a set A and maps it into B, and no two numbers in A can map to the same number in B.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook