Explaining the electric fields of particles

However, this approach is being replaced by particle physics, which uses photons as force carriers for the electromagnetic field. In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between electric and magnetic fields and how they contribute to the electric potential of subatomic particles. While there may be other types of fields that can generate an electric field, the current understanding in quantum physics is that photons serve as the force carriers for the electromagnetic field.
kmarinas86
I haven't taken any course in quantum field theory or read any advanced books about it, but I would like to make what I think is a deduction.

An electric field can be explained by changing magnetic field. Provided that some property of this changing magnetic field was met, the electric field may correspond to the electric field produced by a subatomic particle. So far, I don't know of any other type of field that would generate an electric field other than a changing magnetic field. Do the quantum physicists explain the electric field of subatomic particles this way? Do they know the changing magnetic field that would be necesary to generate the electric potential of the proton for instance?

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need a changing magnetic field to make an electric field, electric fields are inherent properties of charged particles. If you're saying the only 'field' that can generate an electric field is a changing magnetic one you are correct, however using this sort of field thinking is, as far as i know, being phased out in this line of thought and replaced with particle physics, whereby the force carriers of the EM fields are photons.

-G

I appreciate your curiosity and interest in understanding the electric fields of particles. However, your deduction is not entirely accurate. While it is true that an electric field can be generated by a changing magnetic field, this is not the only way in which electric fields are produced.

In quantum field theory, particles are described as excitations or disturbances in their respective fields. For example, the electric field is associated with the electromagnetic field, which is one of the fundamental fields in nature. Particles such as protons and electrons are considered to be excitations in this field, and their interactions with each other and other particles are described by the exchange of virtual photons.

The electric field of a particle is not solely determined by a changing magnetic field, but rather it is a fundamental property of the particle itself. In fact, the electric field of a particle is an intrinsic property that cannot be altered or changed.

Furthermore, the electric field of a proton, or any other subatomic particle, cannot be explained solely by a changing magnetic field. The electric potential of a proton, for instance, is a result of the combined effects of its electric charge and the surrounding electric fields of other particles.

In short, the electric fields of particles are complex and cannot be fully explained by a single factor such as a changing magnetic field. They are essential components of the fundamental nature of particles and are studied and described in detail by quantum physicists through mathematical models and experimental observations. I hope this helps clarify your understanding of electric fields in the realm of quantum physics.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space around a charged particle or object where other charged particles will experience a force. This force can be either attractive or repulsive, depending on the charge of the particles involved.

2. How are electric fields created?

Electric fields are created by charged particles or objects. When a charged particle is placed in an area, it creates an electric field around itself. The strength of the field depends on the magnitude of the charge and the distance from the particle.

3. How do particles interact with electric fields?

Charged particles interact with electric fields by experiencing a force. If the particle has the same charge as the field, it will experience a repulsive force, causing it to move away. If the particle has the opposite charge, it will experience an attractive force, causing it to move towards the source of the field.

4. What is the relationship between electric fields and electric charges?

Electric fields and electric charges are closely related. An electric field is created by a charged particle, and the strength of the field is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charge. In other words, the larger the charge, the stronger the electric field.

5. How are electric fields measured?

Electric fields are measured in units of volts per meter (V/m). This unit represents the strength of the field at a specific distance from the charged particle. The closer a charged particle is to the source of the field, the stronger the electric field will be.