1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Explanation around Fermi Wave Vector and Metallic Behaviour

1. Nov 4, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I was to calculate the Fermi Wave Vector $K_F$ for a metallic structure then explain why the nearly free elctron model is consistent with its behaviour?

3. The attempt at a solution
    After calculating the wave vector, I see that the fermi wave vector is within an energy band, hence the energy band is only partially filled allowing easy promotion of electrons into higher energy states.. Allowing for easy conduction? Would this explain why the nearly free electron model is consistent?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2015 #2

kau

I didn't get the question exactly...But I think what you said is ok. we can say in nearly free electron model that in the edge there is a gap due to superposition of travelling waves directed opposite to each other..Now if the band is filled then it's insulator...and if the fermi momentum lies within a band and it's nt filled then it's a metal...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted