Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Explicit or analytic formula for a homeomorphism

1. Mar 13, 2006 #1
    What would an explicit or analytic formula for a homeomorphism between a circle and a square be?

Or a disc and [0,1] x [0,1]?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I don't know why you would want this; the whole point of topology is to get beyond the analytic strait-jacket, but If you must why not do it in the first quadrant, mapping the quarter circle [tex]x^2 + y^2 = 1[/tex] to the quarter square made by the line segments [tex]x = 1, 0 \leq y \leq 1[/tex] and [tex]y = 1, 0 \leq x \leq 1[/tex]? Trig functions should do the job. Think about it.
  4. Apr 7, 2006 #3
    I would try converting the euclidean ball to the infinity norm ball.

That is, take a point in the circle, i.e., a vector (x,y) such that [tex]x^2+y^2 = 1[/tex]. Now take the map:

[tex]f(x,y)\; := \; \frac{(x,y)}{\mathrm{max}\{\vert x\vert,\,\vert y\vert\}}[/tex]

where f(0,0) is undefined.

This map takes any convex set containing (0,0) into the unit square, hence it takes the unit circle in the unit square. It is easy to show that f is continuous, but not differentiable.
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?