Exploding Projectiles: What Happens to the Other Piece?

• Thread starter jessicak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projectiles
In summary, a projectile is launched at an angle with speed v0 and explodes at the peak of its motion into two pieces of equal mass. One piece strikes the ground a horizontal distance D farther from the launch point than the point directly below the explosion at a time t<v0sin\theta/g. The height of the other piece can be found using the kinematic equation h=v02sin2\theta/g. Time may be included in the equation, and the equation may need to be adjusted for the explosion.
jessicak

Homework Statement

A projectile is launched with speed v0 at an angle [tex]\theta[/tex] with respect to the horizontal. At the peak of its motion, it explodes into two pieces of equal mass, which continue to move in the original plane of motion. One piece strikes the ground a horizontal distance D farther from the launch point than the point directly below the explosion at a time t<v0sin[tex]\theta[/tex]/g. How high does the other piece go? Answer in terms of v0, [tex]\theta[/tex], g, and t.

Homework Equations

m1v1=m2v2
h=v02sin2([tex]\theta[/tex]/g

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I should be doing a momentum balance in the vertical direction before and after the collision, but I'm struggling to get the right equation. Any help would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
@jessicak
The way I see it is this: Firstly, focus on the fact that they both have equal mass, and the fact that at the peak of its motion, vertical velocity is zero, but the horizontal velocity keeps going. Look at conservation of momentum and see what happens. Secondly, the kinematic equation for both velocities have two components. One for horizontal, and the other vertical. Now, for the first piece, find the time it takes for it too hit the ground. Remember, the forward component and vertical components are separate, so only one of them decides the time it takes, then the other one decides the distance from explosion point.

Hmmm... I'm still very lost. If I take into consideration the time it takes for the first piece to reach the ground, how does that help me find the height of the second piece?

Find the kinematic equation of the second piece right when it explodes. And the best part is that since you are only finding the height, for this one, you don't have to take account of the horizontal velocity.

The general kinematic equation for height of a projectile is
h= v02sin2[tex]\theta[/tex]/g

How can I adjust this for the explosion? (I think time fits in there somehow)

Why is there no time component for that kinematic equation? Either that, or it is probably at maximum height at which the explosion happens.

BTW, the way I derived that equation, I got:

[tex]h=\frac{v^2sin^2\theta}{2g}[/tex]

Are you sure there is no two in the denominator?

I'm pretty sure it's just g in the denominator if I'm remembering correctly.

@iRaid
Yep, you are right, I got clumsy in one of the steps. :)

Unfortunately, my online homework does not accept that answer as correct. However, I am confident that time needs to be present somewhere, as the question distinctly asks for it.

Related to Exploding Projectiles: What Happens to the Other Piece?

1. What is an exploding projectile?

An exploding projectile is a type of ammunition that is designed to explode upon impact with a target, causing damage to the target and its surroundings. It can be fired from a variety of weapons such as guns, cannons, or rockets.

2. How do exploding projectiles work?

Exploding projectiles typically contain an explosive material, such as gunpowder or a chemical compound, that is triggered by impact or a fuse. When the projectile strikes a target, the explosive material detonates, causing a burst of energy and shrapnel to be released.

3. What are the dangers of using exploding projectiles?

The main danger of using exploding projectiles is the potential for collateral damage and injury to unintended targets. They can also be more unpredictable and difficult to control compared to non-exploding projectiles. Additionally, the handling and storage of explosive materials can pose a risk if not done properly.

4. What are the benefits of using exploding projectiles?

Exploding projectiles can be highly effective in destroying or damaging a target, as the explosion can cause widespread damage and injury. They may also be used for crowd control or as a deterrent in military operations. However, their use should be carefully considered and regulated to minimize potential harm.

5. How are exploding projectiles regulated?

In most countries, the use and production of exploding projectiles are heavily regulated by laws and regulations. Military and law enforcement agencies may have their own protocols for the use of such weapons. International treaties, such as the Geneva Convention, also have provisions regarding the use of explosive weapons in armed conflicts.