Explore Relativistic Effects in "A Slower Speed of Light" Game by MIT Game Lab

In summary, a game by the MIT game lab allows players to experience relativistic effects by collecting orbs at the speed of light. It has been discussed on previous threads and is considered reasonably accurate. The book "Mr. Tompkins in Wonderland" also explores this concept. However, the game has not been updated and is built on a closed-source framework.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
I just found this interesting game by MIT game lab. It illustrates a world where the speed of light can become comparable to the walking speed of a child by collecting some orbs. So this way you can see relativistic effects directly. I post this thread so we can discuss the game and the effects and maybe the game's accuracy.

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll find it discussed in some older threads here as well. If I remember correctly, the conclusion was that it is reasonably accurate.

The book, "Mr. Tompkins in Wonderland" by the famous physicist George Gamow, gives an interesting exploration of this (among other things).

Nugatory said:
You'll find it discussed in some older threads here as well.

For example, see the Similar Discussions thread listing at the bottom of your thread page... :smile:

berkeman said:
For example, see the Similar Discussions thread listing at the bottom of your thread page... :smile:
:blushing:

Shyan said:
I just found this interesting game by MIT game lab. It illustrates a world where the speed of light can become comparable to the walking speed of a child by collecting some orbs. So this way you can see relativistic effects directly. I post this thread so we can discuss the game and the effects and maybe the game's accuracy.
I just found the same game while looking up something for another thread. I was going to post on PF about it but a Google search showed me that you beat me to it by a few months. :oldsmile: Looks interesting.

HallsofIvy said:
The book, "Mr. Tompkins in Wonderland" by the famous physicist George Gamow, gives an interesting exploration of this (among other things).
s/interesting/inaccurate/ I think ;)

BTW the "game" in the OP hasn't been updated for two years. I think they wanted to drum up some sort of community by calling it "Open Source", but unfortunately they built it atop the closed-source and proprietary Unity game framework. Fail.

Related to Explore Relativistic Effects in "A Slower Speed of Light" Game by MIT Game Lab

1. What is "A Slower Speed of Light" game by MIT Game Lab?

"A Slower Speed of Light" is a video game developed by the MIT Game Lab that allows players to experience the effects of special relativity by controlling the speed of light in the game environment.

2. How do you explore relativistic effects in the game?

In the game, players can adjust the speed of light, which in turn affects the visual appearance and physical behavior of objects in the game world. This allows players to observe and experience the effects of time dilation, length contraction, and other concepts of special relativity.

3. Is the game scientifically accurate?

Yes, the game was developed in collaboration with physicists and is based on real equations from special relativity. However, it should be noted that the game is simplified and does not represent every aspect of relativity.

4. Can the game be used for educational purposes?

Yes, the game has been used in classrooms and educational settings to help students understand the concepts of special relativity in a more interactive and engaging way.

5. Is "A Slower Speed of Light" game only for scientists or can anyone play it?

The game is designed for anyone to play, regardless of their scientific background. It is meant to be a fun and interactive way to explore the concepts of special relativity and does not require any prior knowledge of physics.