Exploring Blood Pressure: Measuring Hydrostatic Pressure?

In summary: I would advise looking into a medical textbook on physiology, chapter "curculation". Or you might want to take a peek here, "UNIT IV" it is.red65
red65
Hello everyone, concerning blood pressure , we know that the pressure exerted by moving fluid has two components: a dynamic, flowing component that represents the kinetic energy of the system, and a lateral component that represents the hydrostatic pressure (potential energy) exerted on the walls of the system.
When we are measuring blood pressure are we measuring hydrostatic pressure only?

Biology news on Phys.org
My understanding of BP is that it is measured by stopping the blood flow with a cuff - like a tourniquet. Then as the cuff pressure is reduced, you listen for the resumption of some flow and the resumption of flow for the whole cycle. The first of these would seem to me to represent purely the hydrostatic pressure.
Since both measurements are achieved by measuring the pressure perpendicular to the flow, I suspect neither reflects a kinetic element. The Pitot tube has holes facing the flow and perpendicular to the flow. The first hole gives the total pressure (stagnation pressure) and I assume the other measures the hydrostatic pressure, which is subtracted to give the kinetic pressure.
But as you can see, I don't actually know anything about it, other than having it measured.

Likes DeBangis21, pinball1970, russ_watters and 1 other person
Late but...

Both.

The pressure is omnidirectional. As mentioned above, the Riva-Rocci-BP-method doesn't measure pressure directly, but by compressing and thus occluding, later obstructing the upper arm arteries. This causes turbulent flow behind the narrowed part is auscultated, either using a stethoscope when you do it manually, or vibration sensors on the automatic gadgets. And when the arterial pressure goes down during the cardial filling phase - diastolic drop - then the flow throught the compressed part of the artery ceases, as does the turbulence.

The elasticity of major arteries smoothes the pulse front, and the blood flow isn't fast enough to exert a kinetic, pressure due to its impulse. Blood is an Newtonian, non-compressible liquid (in first approximation). The ejection phase of the left heart chamber only is roughly 30-40% of the complete cycle time. While the heart expulsion force does contribute, the main regulation mechanism, however, is located in the precapillary sphincter, so in the very end of the arterial system.

Also, the flow speed is in the order of 100cm/sec in the aortaascendens, before the first branchings in the arc, slowing down with diameter (Hagen-Poiseuille Equation applies), while the pulse wave can spread faster. As in addition the total sum of the cross-secctional area of the arterial system increases, flow decreases quite rapidly - the major 2nd-stage arteries branch off before the bifurcation of the illiac arteries, and - thanks to vessel wall elasticity - can even revert in these, being directed towards the heart.

Then, the

Also, while not the standard, BP often enough is measured invasively - and not via a pitot tube, but via a standard plastic cannula. This is done mostly on patients during anaesthesia or some patients in intensive care.

Lastly, while you're sitting or standing upright, the arterial blood pressure in the legs is higher in the legs, and lower in the skull (as is the venous pressure, too). Which makes it so relevant that the cuff is at the heart's height, by placing the cuff there - or holding the measuring gadget in front to your chest. (OK, this would be lege artis, patients don't always observe this during self-measuring...)

If you want to understand that better, I'd advise looking into a medical textbook on physiology, chapter "curculation". Or you might want to take a peek here, "UNIT IV" it is.

Likes Merlin3189, DeBangis21 and jim mcnamara
Likes berkeman and russ_watters
Merlin3189 said:
My understanding of BP is that it is measured by stopping the blood flow with a cuff - like a tourniquet. Then as the cuff pressure is reduced, you listen for the resumption of some flow and the resumption of flow for the whole cycle. The first of these would seem to me to represent purely the hydrostatic pressure.
Since both measurements are achieved by measuring the pressure perpendicular to the flow, I suspect neither reflects a kinetic element.
Not exactly... :wink:

Physiology, Korotkoff Sound
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK539778/

red65 said:
Hello everyone, concerning blood pressure , we know that the pressure exerted by moving fluid has two components: a dynamic, flowing component that represents the kinetic energy of the system, and a lateral component that represents the hydrostatic pressure (potential energy) exerted on the walls of the system.
When we are measuring blood pressure are we measuring hydrostatic pressure only?
You joined Xmas Eve? That's commitment to learning!

Read the refs from the posters all good.
Do not look at these things in isolation, blood pressure measurement has a lot of physiology and anatomy surrounding it. All intricate stuff.
I would also suggest you check out when things go wrong, high blood pressure and low, pathology and treatment.

1. What is considered a normal blood pressure reading?

According to the American Heart Association, a normal blood pressure reading is less than 120/80 mmHg.

2. How is blood pressure measured?

Blood pressure is measured using a device called a sphygmomanometer, which consists of a cuff that is wrapped around the upper arm and a pressure gauge. The cuff is inflated to temporarily cut off blood flow, and then slowly released while the pressure gauge measures the force of blood against the artery walls.

3. What are the potential health risks associated with high blood pressure?

High blood pressure, also known as hypertension, can increase the risk of heart disease, stroke, kidney disease, and other health problems. It can also lead to damage of the blood vessels, heart, and other organs if left untreated.

4. Can lifestyle changes help lower blood pressure?

Yes, lifestyle changes such as maintaining a healthy weight, exercising regularly, reducing sodium intake, and limiting alcohol consumption can help lower blood pressure. Quitting smoking and managing stress can also have a positive impact on blood pressure.

5. What are some ways to naturally lower blood pressure?

In addition to lifestyle changes, there are some natural remedies that may help lower blood pressure. These include consuming foods high in potassium, such as bananas and leafy greens, getting enough sleep, and practicing relaxation techniques such as deep breathing and meditation.