Exploring Infinity Singularities: Why Don't They Suck in Everything?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of singularity at a black hole and its supposed infinite density and gravity. However, it is clarified that the singularity does not have infinite gravity, as gravity is based on total mass rather than density. The mass of the singularity is not infinite, and can be compared to the mass of the sun. The conversation also touches on the relationship between mass and size, explaining that while the formula for mass often includes volume, in the case of a singularity with infinite density and zero volume, the formula breaks down. However, the mass remains constant as the density increases and the volume decreases.
uknova
I have an interest in physics, I have not studied it at any high levels (as u will soon find out :smile: ), i just like to read and think about it, but I have a question, please don't blind me with maths!

If a singularity at a black hole has infinity density, I'm guessing this means it has infinite gravity. If someone has infinite gravity, won't everything in the universe get sucked into it instantaneously? Why does this not happen?

Sorry if my question sounded a bit dumb, which i guess it probably did!

Physics news on Phys.org
uknova said:
If a singularity at a black hole has infinity density, I'm guessing this means it has infinite gravity. If someone has infinite gravity, won't everything in the universe get sucked into it instantaneously? Why does this not happen?
The answer is that it doesn't have infinite gravity, gravity is based on total mass rather than density, and the mass of the singularity is not infinite. For example, if the sun were replaced by a black hole of equal mass, the gravitational pull felt by the Earth wouldn't change, so it would remain in the same orbit.

how does something that has no size have a finite mass ?

uknova said:
how does something that has no size have a finite mass ?
mass doesn't really have anything to do with size, except in the sense that normally mass = density*volume...but obviously this formula breaks down when the density is infinite and the volume is zero, infinity times zero doesn't have a well-defined answer. But obviously if you keep cutting the volume in half while doubling the density, the mass will stay constant, and that's basically what's going on when the matter in a star is being compressed into a singularity.

Last edited:

Related to Exploring Infinity Singularities: Why Don't They Suck in Everything?

1. What is an infinity singularity?

An infinity singularity is a point in space where the laws of physics break down and the density approaches infinity. It is typically associated with black holes, where the gravitational pull is so strong that not even light can escape.

2. Why don't infinity singularities suck in everything?

While infinity singularities do have an incredibly strong gravitational pull, they only affect objects within a certain distance called the event horizon. Anything outside of the event horizon is not affected by the singularity.

3. How do scientists study infinity singularities?

Scientists study infinity singularities through observations of their effects on surrounding matter and by using mathematical models to understand their properties. They also use advanced technologies such as telescopes and satellites to gather data.

4. Are there any theories about what happens inside an infinity singularity?

There are various theories about what happens inside an infinity singularity, but due to the extreme conditions, it is difficult to study directly. Some theories suggest that the laws of physics as we know them cease to exist, while others propose the existence of parallel universes or a connection to other dimensions.

5. Are infinity singularities dangerous?

Infinity singularities can be dangerous for objects that get too close to them, as their gravitational pull can tear objects apart. However, they are typically located in distant parts of the universe and pose no immediate threat to Earth or other planets in our solar system.