Exploring Material Engineering for Renewable Energy and Medical Applications

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in studying quantum computer, nanocomputer/nanorobotics, and their applications in oncology and drug delivery, as well as renewable sources of energy. They also mention their goal of opening a start-up that can help solve energy crisis in developing countries and reduce medical costs in cancer treatment. They are unsure which field to pursue as a bachelor's degree, but have concluded that a strong background in electrical and computer engineering and material engineering is necessary. They also consider the possibility of getting a job after graduation and then pursuing a master's degree. The conversation also touches on the difficulty and foundation provided by material engineering, the amount of math required, and the best Canadian university for materials engineering. In
JKM_
hi,

i have decided that i want to do research into ;

quantum computer
(if quantum computer are invented by the time i graduate ) then nanocomputer/nanorobotics
more specifically their application in oncology and drug delivery
renewable sources of energy ( if possible )

open a start up which :
helps solve the energy crisis in developing countries
help reduce medical cost in treating cancer
( not sure which comes first )

now here is the deal how do i go on about gaining the qualification ?

this is what i have concluded
i need a strong electrical and computer engineering background
along with strong background in material engineering,
also i don't want to do a dual since ppl doing it don't be that good in either and i don't have that much finance ( i am leaning towards getting a job after graduation and then after a year or 2 get my masters )

the only possible way is to do a bachelor in one of them and then do a masters in the one remaining ( i.e electrical and computer engineering (bachelor),material engineering (MS) :eek:r vice versa )

doing electrical and computer engineering as a base seems risky since skills obtained get outdated quickly

now here is the question

1) how good a foundation does material eng. provide in engineering in general

2) which is more difficult ? i am naturally good in math and physics, but need to work hard in chem to obtain the same level of proficiency
proportion of physics and chem in material science ? (eg 50 % chem, 10% physics (pure),10% electrical, 10% mechanical, 10% computer,10% bio , of course these are random values which i just thought of )

3) how much maths is required for materials engineering compared to electrical and computer engineering ? ( i am asking this because maths is my fav subject )

4)could someone please tell me which one to pursue as a bachelor ? i am really stuck

this is the majors i am looking at
Bachelors in applied science in electrical and computer engineering with nanotechnology and micro system option
Bachelors in applied science in Materials engineering
both in University of British Columbia ( only for undergrad, for f grad i will be looking at other uni )

5) if you think material engineering is better suitable as an undergrad then which Canadian uni provides the most in depth and broad knowledge in condensed matter research

(P.S i know a lot about career in electrical and computer engineering but very limited knowledge about material engineering so provide as much input for this major )

Engineering news on Phys.org
JKM_ said:
hi,

quantum computer
(if quantum computer are invented by the time i graduate ) then nanocomputer/nanorobotics

open a start up which :

also i don't want to do a dual since ppl doing it don't be that good in either and i don't have that much finance ( i am leaning towards getting a job after graduation and then after a year or 2 get my masters )

the only possible way is to do a bachelor in one of them and then do a masters in the one remaining ( i.e electrical and computer engineering (bachelor),material engineering (MS) :eek:r vice versa )

doing electrical and computer engineering as a base seems risky since skills obtained get outdated quickly

now here is the question

2) which is more difficult ? i am naturally good in math and physics, but need to work hard in chem to obtain the same level of proficiency
proportion of physics and chem in material science ? (eg 50 % chem, 10% physics (pure),10% electrical, 10% mechanical, 10% computer,10% bio , of course these are random values which i just thought of )

3) how much maths is required for materials engineering compared to electrical and computer engineering ? ( i am asking this because maths is my fav subject )

4)could someone please tell me which one to pursue as a bachelor ? i am really stuck

Bachelors in applied science in electrical and computer engineering with nanotechnology and micro system option
both in University of British Columbia ( only for undergrad, for f grad i will be looking at other uni )

5) if you think material engineering is better suitable as an undergrad then which Canadian uni provides the most in depth and broad knowledge in condensed matter research

(P.S i know a lot about career in electrical and computer engineering but very limited knowledge about material engineering so provide as much input for this major )

you can study physics since the material engineering, chemistry and mechanical all use the knowledge of physics. physics is the first major.

Hi,
As your preference range is quite broad (from quantum computer to drug delivery), I think you can have Materials Science as your background, then you can choose your graduate major later, based on your specific interest after 4 years of undergrad.
Imagine, Materials science is a blend of Physics (include understanding of electrical, mechanical,..), Chem, some Bio and Math. So, your knowledge gained from materials science is broad but not deep: you (say, in general :) ) are not as good at physics as physics major students, not as good at chemistry as chem students :)), but you will have a integrated knowledge: better at physics than normal chem students, ...
regarding the proportion, it may depend on your chosen univ, but generally, I think: (for undergrad) 60% physics, 25% chem, 15% for bio and math. none of them is too difficult ^^ however, note that for your grad study and future, chemistry may be much more important, as you'll make things by chemistry.

JKM_ said:
hi,

quantum computer

open a start up which :

now here is the question

I have the same interests as you bro. I decided for physics becouse it covers a lot.

Broadly:

I would choose virtually any engineering major for my undergrad, or physics, or chemistry - really, anything technical. The point (in my mind) is to learn more about how to think, and how to address technical problems.

Then I would go to business school for a graduate program. If you really want to accomplish something, you have to have business skills, and you have to be able to make it rain. Then, once you have your startup going, you need enough technical competence to hire the real geniuses who will make it happen, and to know the difference between the real deal and someone that LOOKS smart.

Full disclosure: I'm a materials engineer, and I think it is probably the most useful major for what you want to pursue, but I think it's the most useful major for virtually anything.

1. What is material engineering?

Material engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the design, development, and production of new materials or the improvement of existing materials for various applications. This field combines principles from chemistry, physics, and engineering to create materials with desired properties.

2. What are the types of materials used in material engineering?

The types of materials used in material engineering include metals, polymers, ceramics, composites, and semiconductors. These materials have unique properties that make them suitable for specific applications.

3. What are the main applications of material engineering?

Material engineering has a wide range of applications, including aerospace and aviation, automotive, construction, electronics, energy, healthcare, and sports. Material engineers work to develop new materials or improve existing ones to meet the specific needs of these industries.

4. What are the steps involved in material engineering?

The steps involved in material engineering include identifying the need for a new material, designing the material based on desired properties, synthesizing or processing the material, testing its properties, and optimizing its production for large-scale use.

5. How does material engineering contribute to sustainability?

Material engineering plays a crucial role in promoting sustainability by developing materials that are eco-friendly and have a lower environmental impact. This includes using renewable resources, reducing energy consumption in production processes, and creating materials that can be recycled or biodegraded.