Exploring Properties of Rings: Solving for a^2 = 1 Given ab+ba = 1 and a^3 = a

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem in which a^2 = 1 in a ring, given the equations ab+ba = 1 and a^3 = a. Different methods and equations are discussed, but the final solution is found without multiplying any equations.
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

A) If ab+ba = 1 and a^3 = a in a ring, show that a^2 = 1

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

Little confused. If we know that a^3 = a, can't we just multiply each on the right or left side by a^-1 to get a^2 = 1? Or could we only do that if the ring is said to be commutative?

edit: I realized that to show that a^2 = 1 in the way I mentioned above that a would have to be a division ring. Normal rings aren't guaranteed to have multiplicative inverses.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would start by multiplying the first equation by an a on the left, then do the same with an a on the right. Compare the resulting equations. Then there should only be one reasonable conclusion that satisfies ##a^3=a## as well.

So I get b + aba = a and aba + b = a, (considering a^2=1) is there something obvious that I'm missing here? The two equations are the same thing are they not?

Last edited:
## ab+ba = 1,## so left multiplying gives ## a^2 b + aba = a## and right multiplying gives ## aba+ba^2=a##. Moving ##aba## to the other side shows that ##a^2b = a-aba = ba^2##.
Similarly, you could right/left multiply ##a^2## to show that ## a^3b+a^2ba=a^2 = aba^2 + ba^3 ##. Substituting the fact that ## a^2b=ba^2 ## should allow you to cancel out some (edit) ##a^3##s.

Last edited:
PsychonautQQ said:
So I get b + aba = a and aba + b = a, (considering a^2=1) is there something obvious that I'm missing here? The two equations are the same thing are they not?
I would not assume what you are trying to show at this point.

Likes PsychonautQQ
There aren't many many ways to use the two given equations. Let's start with ##ab+ba=1##. What can we do with this other than to insert the assumption ##a=a^3##? This gives us ##1=ab+ba=a^3b+ba^3##. How can we rewrite the right-hand side? Replacing ##a## with ##a^3## again doesn't look very promising, and replacing ##a^3## with ##a## just takes us back to where we started. So we're almost certainly going to have to use ##ab+ba=1## (possibly more than once) to rewrite the right-hand side.

Update:

I now have four (seven?) equations I'm moving around.

1) a = (a^2)*b + a*b*a
2) a = aba + b(a^2)
3) 1 = (a^3)b + b(a^3)
4) 1 = ab + ba

Hence...
5) ab + ba = (a^3)b + b(a^3)
6) aba + b(a^2) = (a^2)*b + a*b*a

I even multiplied 5 and 6 together to try to get something. Got messy.

Hmmm.

From 1 and 2 you have ##a^2b=ba^2##.
Multiplying 4 by ##a^2## gives either ## a^2 = a^3b+a^2ba ## or ## a^2 = aba^2+ba^3##.
Using the facts that ##a^3 = a## and ##a^2b=b^2a## you can reduce this down to something equivalent to ##a^2 = 1##.

I was able to solve it using RUber's suggestion, but I also found a way to solve it without ever multiplying an equation by anything. So one piece of advice is to resist the temptation to multiply things together.

Likes PsychonautQQ
Wow I got it. Thanks a ton for your help I appreciate it. Totally got it before Fredriks last comment :P. I'm studying this stuff independently because I'm a Math nerd and it's tough! It's fun though.

Related to Exploring Properties of Rings: Solving for a^2 = 1 Given ab+ba = 1 and a^3 = a

1. What are the different elements of a ring problem?

The main elements of a ring problem include the ring itself, the ring operator, the ring properties, the ring identity, and the ring axioms.

2. What is the role of the ring operator in a ring problem?

The ring operator is a binary operation that defines how two elements in a ring interact with each other. It is typically denoted by symbols such as + or * and plays a crucial role in determining the properties and behavior of the ring.

3. What are the fundamental properties of a ring in a ring problem?

The two most important properties of a ring are closure and associativity. Closure means that when two elements are operated on by the ring operator, the result is also an element of the ring. Associativity means that the order in which the operations are performed does not affect the final result.

4. What is the identity element in a ring problem?

The identity element, denoted by 1, is an element in a ring that when operated on by the ring operator, returns the same element. In other words, for any element a in the ring, a * 1 = a. This element is essential in maintaining the integrity of the ring operations.

5. How do the ring axioms play a role in solving a ring problem?

The ring axioms are a set of rules that define the behavior of rings and ensure that they maintain their fundamental properties. These axioms help in solving ring problems by providing a framework for understanding and manipulating the elements of the ring in a consistent and logical manner.