Exploring Space Time: A High Schooler's Question

In summary: Which is why a straight line isn't the shortest distance between two pionts it would be a wormwhole (the cloest to time travel you'll ever get.)This is not necessarily true. In general relativity, the shortest distances are actually called "geodesics." They are the paths that maximize the proper time between two points. Sometimes these are straight lines, but they can also be curved paths.
phintastic
keep in mind i am just an average high schooler who likes to read, but i was just wondering about something that i couldn't find in books or the internet. i know that the speed of light is 186,390 miles per second, so in turn you would have to travel that many miles to "go" back in time one second. but wouldn't that only be the case if you were on a level plane of time? i guess my real question is that if you were standing on a black hole, would that one second be much much closer due to gravity bending time? i hope that made sense enough for you to clarify for me. thx.

Physics news on Phys.org
phintastic said:
keep in mind i am just an average high schooler who likes to read, but i was just wondering about something that i couldn't find in books or the internet. i know that the speed of light is 186,390 miles per second, so in turn you would have to travel that many miles to "go" back in time one second. but wouldn't that only be the case if you were on a level plane of time? i guess my real question is that if you were standing on a black hole, would that one second be much much closer due to gravity bending time? i hope that made sense enough for you to clarify for me. thx.

It would be impossible for anyone to travel back in time. Time is not continum. And even if it were you would have to travel double the speed of light, mabey even triple just to travel back in time. Travelling 180,000 miles per second won't even get you anywhere probably one second in the futuer and even then it would still take you eight minutes to travel eight minutes to travel just 9 TRILLION MILES!

If you were even near a black hole, much less just a few hundread trillion miles away you would still be sucked into oblivion. And on top of that Gravity bending time would create a wormwhole. Which is why a straight line isn't the shortest distance between two pionts it would be a wormwhole (the cloest to time travel you'll ever get.)

phintastic said:
keep in mind i am just an average high schooler who likes to read, but i was just wondering about something that i couldn't find in books or the internet. i know that the speed of light is 186,390 miles per second,
c=299792458 m/s to be exact.

phintastic said:
so in turn you would have to travel that many miles to "go" back in time one second.
You can't go back in time by traveling in space (at any speed), but maybe you just meant that if you look at an object at that distance you see it as it was a second ago.

phintastic said:
but wouldn't that only be the case if you were on a level plane of time?
Did you mean "only if you're in a region of space-time that's flat"? In that case, the answer is no. The speed of light is always c.

phintastic said:
i guess my real question is that if you were standing on a black hole, would that one second be much much closer due to gravity bending time? i hope that made sense enough for you to clarify for me. thx.
The answer is probably no, but I'm not sure I understand the question.

Kt_Atis said:
Time is not continum.
It is in general relativity, which is still the best theory of gravity we have.

Kt_Atis said:
And even if it were you would have to travel double the speed of light, mabey even triple just to travel back in time.
Even if you could travel faster than c, you still wouldn't be able to go back in time. The weird thing that would happen is that in some inertial frames you would be seen to do everything in reverse order. For example, the end of your trip would occur before the start.

Kt_Atis said:
And on top of that Gravity bending time would create a wormwhole.
Not necessarily. To create a wormhole you have to change the topology of space-time, not just the curvature.

Related to Exploring Space Time: A High Schooler's Question

1. What is space-time?

Space-time is a concept that combines the three dimensions of space (length, width, and height) with the dimension of time. It is a way to understand and describe the physical universe as a four-dimensional continuum.

2. How does space-time affect the movement of objects?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, space-time is not a fixed and static grid, but rather a dynamic fabric that can be warped and curved by the presence of massive objects. This curvature affects the movement of objects, causing them to follow curved paths instead of straight lines.

3. Can space-time be observed or measured?

Space-time cannot be observed directly, but its effects can be observed and measured through experiments and observations. For example, the bending of light by massive objects is evidence of the curvature of space-time.

4. How is space-time connected to gravity?

According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, gravity is not a force between masses, but rather a result of the curvature of space-time caused by the presence of massive objects. The more massive an object is, the more it warps the fabric of space-time, causing other objects to move towards it.

5. Why is it important to study space-time?

Studying space-time allows us to better understand the fundamental laws of the universe and how the universe has evolved over time. It also helps us make accurate predictions about the movement of objects and the behavior of the universe on a large scale. Additionally, understanding space-time is crucial for the development of technologies such as GPS and satellite communications.