Exploring the Mystery of Superluminal Motion in Black Hole Jets

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter K. Doc Holiday
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of superluminosity and its relation to relativistic jets shooting out from a black hole. Superluminosity is a term used to explain the apparent faster-than-light speed of these jets, which can be seen traveling at speeds between 300% to 3,000% faster than the speed of light. However, this theory is still being debated and it is believed that only jets at a small angle towards Earth appear superluminal. The source of the information regarding these speeds is still unclear.
K. Doc Holiday
If my memory serves me correctly current theory says that the relativistic jets shooting out from a black hole (I assume perpendicular to the event horizon) are pointed in opposite directions. That means if one is pointed directly at us the other must be aimed directly away from us.

Superluminosity is a term created in an attempt to dismiss the empirical (visual) data we collect regarding relativistic jets. The majority of jets are seen traveling faster than the speed of light. Not 10% faster. Somewhere between 300% to 3,000% faster.

Superluminosity assumes this is an optical illusion which occurs when a jet is pointed directly at earth. So, here is my question:

How is it that both jets from a black hole appear to go faster than light, which is true for most pairs of jets?

Shouldn't one be "superluminous" and the other invisible? A jet heading away from us at 99% of the speed of light shouldn't be visible let alone "superluminous" right?

Once again I apologize for my stupid questions and i appreciate your patience.

Sincerely
Doc

Astronomy news on Phys.org
K. Doc Holiday said:
The majority of jets are seen traveling faster than the speed of light. Not 10% faster. Somewhere between 300% to 3,000% faster.
Huh? Where did you see/read this? Things do NOT move faster than light so I'm not sure what you might be talking about.

K. Doc Holiday said:
How is it that both jets from a black hole appear to go faster than light, which is true for most pairs of jets?

Shouldn't one be "superluminous" and the other invisible? A jet heading away from us at 99% of the speed of light shouldn't be visible let alone "superluminous" right?

I believe it's only the jets that are moving at a small angle toward us that appear to be superluminal.

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SpeedOfLight/Superluminal/superluminal.html
https://ned.ipac.caltech.edu/level5/ESSAYS/Cohen/cohen.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superluminal_motion

Likes davenn

Related to Exploring the Mystery of Superluminal Motion in Black Hole Jets

What is superluminosity?

Superluminosity is a hypothetical phenomenon in which an object or signal travels faster than the speed of light, which is currently considered the maximum speed in the universe.

Is superluminosity possible?

At this point, there is no scientific evidence to suggest that superluminosity is possible. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the ultimate speed limit in the universe.

What are some proposed theories about superluminosity?

Some physicists have proposed theories such as wormholes, quantum tunneling, and cosmic strings as potential explanations for superluminosity. However, these theories are largely speculative and have not been supported by scientific evidence.

Why is superluminosity important in science?

Superluminosity is important in science because it challenges our understanding of the laws of physics and the fundamental principles of the universe. It also has implications for our understanding of time, space, and the possibilities of interstellar travel.

What are the potential consequences of superluminosity?

If superluminosity were proven to be possible, it would require a major revision of our current understanding of physics. It could also have major implications for technology and space travel, potentially allowing us to travel to distant parts of the universe in a shorter amount of time.