1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exponential Growth

1. Aug 29, 2011 #1
    Hi,

I am explaining the function of each parameter in my model:

a*bcx

Are these correct?

I said that as a changes the graph is stretched parallel to the y axis.

The movement takes place when we change b and c but I said the growth is exponential... Is that the correct term? Because, for example, if double the value of b the output is quadrupled.

Thanks,
    Peter G.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2011 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Relative to the graph of y = bcx, a*bcx will be expanded away from the x-axis if a > 1, or compressed toward the x-axis, if 0 < a < 1. If a < 0, there is also a reflection across the x-axis.
    More generally, if y = f(x), the graph of y = af(x) is as explained above. The graph of y = f(cx) will be compressed toward the y-axis, if c > 1, and expanded away from the y-axis, if 0 < c < 1. If c < 0, there is a reflection across the y-axis.

4. Aug 29, 2011 #3
    Hi,

I was using this graphing program that allows me to use a slider to shift the graph. I was trying to increase the value of a and as I increased it, it moved towards the x axis, eventually even crossing it.

I agree with the transformations for c you mentioned (do they apply for b too?) but I still don't know if saying that it is compressed or expanded exponentially is correct.

Thanks once again

5. Aug 29, 2011 #4

Mark44

I don't see how this can happen. What function were you graphing? The transformations I was talking about aren't shifts: they are called stretches or compressions. A shift (or translation) is where you move the graph left or right or up or down.

Unless there's a vertical translation involved, an exponential function cannot cross the horizontal axis.
    b is the base of your exponential function, so what I said doesn't apply. I didn't say compressed/expanded exponentially. You should omit that word in what you're doing.

What I said before about the graph of y = f(cx) is correct.

For example, if y = f(x) = [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex], the graph of f(2x) is a compression toward the y-axis by a factor of 2. The point (1, 1) on the original graph is now at (1/2, 1), and similar for all other points.

The graph of y = f(x/3) is a stretch away from the y-axis by a factor of 3. The point (4, 2) on the original graph is now at (12, 2).

6. Aug 29, 2011 #5
    Ok, I got it now. But for the value of a, check this out:

Let's consider the equation: 2^x.

When x = 2, y = 4.
    Now, if we plot:

2*2^x

When x = 2, y = 8

So, don't you agree that the graph would increase more rapidly, therefore be stretched parallel to the y-axis? Be compressed towards the x axis.

(P.S: I'm not trying to argue with you, I know you are a far, far better mathematician than I am :redface: but I don't know, this seems to make sense to me!)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  7. Aug 29, 2011 #6

Mark44

No, I don't agree, but I can see why you're thinking as you are. For your example, relative to the graph of y = 2^x, each y value on the graph of y = 2* 2^x is now doubled, hence all of the points are twice as far away from the x-axis. So to get the graph of y = 2*2^x, we are expanding the points on y = 2^x away from the x-axis by a factor of 2.

An example that is easier to see is the equation y = 3*sin(x). Each point on the graph of the base function, y = sin(x) is now 3 times as far from the x-axis. The graph of y = 3*sin(x) has been stretched away from (expanded away from) the x-axis by a factor of 3.

Nit: 2^x is not an equation - it's a function. The equation would be y = 2^x.

8. Aug 30, 2011 #7

NascentOxygen

You might find it informative to plot log(a*bcx) versus x and examine that as you change the parameters. The graph will be a straight line (not usually horizontal). If will have a defined slope, and a vertical offset, etc., all directly related to the parameters you are discussing. It is an easy way to fit a curve to your raw data.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook