Can the inverse of a matrix exponential be proven using its definition?

In summary, the conversation is about proving the inverse of the matrix e^A given the definition e^A = I + A + A^2/2 + A^3/3! + ... + A^k/k! and the condition that A^n = 0 for n greater than some k. The teacher may have given this as a definition or as a simplification of the infinite sum. The student has tried to find a proof but has not been successful.
GregoryGr
I have to prove the inverse of the matrix e^A. we haven't studied exponential matrices in uni but he gave us the definition of it with the series e^A= I+A+A^2 ... A^k where A^k=0, even for numbers greater than k.
I have tried to think of a way to prove it, but neither my classmates or I found something. I looked up google etc, but all the proofs were with things that we didn't learn. Any help is welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider this:if [itex] A={a_{ij}} [/itex] then for [itex] B=e^A[/itex] we have [itex] b_{ij}=e^{a_{ij}} [/itex].

Prove what? Not that e^A= I+ A+ A^2/2+ A^3/3!+ ... because you were given that as a definition. And not that [tex]A^n= 0[/tex] for n greater than some k because that is not generally true.

Perhaps your teacher was saying that if there exist some k, such that if A^n = 0 if n> k, then e^A= 1+ A+ A^2/2!+ A^3/3!+ ...+ A^k/k!

Either your teacher gave e^A= I+ A+ A^2/2+ A^3/3!+ ... (an infinite sum) from which it follows that if A^n= 0 for n> k that e^A= I+ A+ A^2/2+ A^3/3!+ ... + A^k/k! or your teacher, wishing to avoid the technical complications involved in defining infinite sums of matrices, just said that if A^n= 0 for n> k, then e^A= I+ A+ A^2/2+ A^3/3!+ ... + A^k/k!

In either case, it does not require "proof" because it is a definition.

Shyan said:
Consider this:if [itex] A={a_{ij}} [/itex] then for [itex] B=e^A[/itex] we have [itex] b_{ij}=e^{a_{ij}} [/itex].

Yes but how does that come out from the definition which he gave? :\

@HallsofIvy :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exponential_matrix#Nilpotent_case
He basically gave that case, and asked us to prove what the inverse will be.

Shyan said:

This is not the matrix exponential. For example if A is diagonal then eA has the form bjj = ea_jj, but off the diagonal you still get all zeros (whereas your formula would give 1s).

Gregory, if you've been assigned an exercise you should post the problem in the homework forum, with the full problem statement as you have been given it and the work you have done to try to solve it.

1. What is an exponential matrix?

An exponential matrix is a special type of matrix that can be written in the form eA, where A is a square matrix. This is similar to how a number can be written in exponential form, such as 102. The eA notation is used to represent the matrix exponential function, which is defined as the sum of an infinite series of matrix powers.

2. What is the purpose of proving an exponential matrix?

Proving an exponential matrix is important because it allows us to understand and manipulate the behavior of exponential functions in the context of matrices. This is useful in many areas of mathematics and science, such as differential equations, population growth models, and quantum mechanics.

3. What is the general method for proving an exponential matrix?

The general method for proving an exponential matrix involves using the definition of the matrix exponential function and properties of matrices to manipulate the expression until it matches the desired form. This may involve factorizing, rearranging terms, or using identities such as the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula.

4. How do exponential matrix proofs relate to real-world applications?

Exponential matrix proofs have many real-world applications, particularly in fields that involve modeling and predicting exponential growth or decay. For example, they can be used in economics to model compound interest, in biology to model population growth, and in physics to model the evolution of quantum systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using exponential matrix proofs?

Like any mathematical proof, exponential matrix proofs are subject to certain limitations. They may only be applicable to specific types of matrices or functions, and some proofs may be more complex or difficult to understand than others. Additionally, the accuracy of the proof may be affected by rounding errors or other numerical approximations.