Exponential Solution to Wave Equation

In summary, the solution to the wave equation is typically represented as y(x,t) = Acos(kx-wt), where A is the amplitude of displacement, k is the wave number, and w is the angular frequency. This solution makes sense and fits the equation, but other solutions such as y(x,t) = exp(x+ct) are also valid. However, these exponential solutions are not commonly studied as they do not fit boundary or initial conditions and may not have physical significance. The common use of plane waves (sines and cosines) allows for a larger subgroup of solutions that are physically relevant. Boundary conditions refer to the values of y(x,t) at certain times and x-positions, and the exponential solution may not
vancouver_water
I just learned how to derive the wave equation and now I have some questions about it. In my physics text (first year) it simply says (without reason) that the solution to the wave equation is y(x,t) = Acos(kx-wt), where A is the amplitude of displacement, k is the wave number and w is the angular frequency. This makes sense and fits the equation, but why isn't the solution y(x,t) = exp(x+ct), where c is the speed of the wave, valid? It doesn't make sense physically because there is no exponential growth in the amplitude of the wave, but does this come in anywhere? Is there any physical significance to this solution?

PS. I have not taken classes in differential equations yet so it might get explained there, but as of right now I don't know the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
vancouver_water said:
why isn't the solution y(x,t) = exp(x+ct), where c is the speed of the wave, valid?
Any function f(x-ct)+g(x+ct) is a solution to the wave equation. Exponentials in general are not looked at much - they usually do not fit boundary or initial conditions. Plane waves (sines and cosines) are commonly studied as you can build up a large subgroup of the solutions (typically the physically interesting one) using Fourier transforms.

Simply plug the solution they give you into the wave equation.

Orodruin said:
Any function f(x-ct)+g(x+ct) is a solution to the wave equation. Exponentials in general are not looked at much - they usually do not fit boundary or initial conditions. Plane waves (sines and cosines) are commonly studied as you can build up a large subgroup of the solutions (typically the physically interesting one) using Fourier transforms.
I think this makes sense to me. So if the wave were along a rope, the boundary conditions would be the values of y(x,t) at certain times and x-positions? and the exponential solution would not fit these boundary values?

1. What is the exponential solution to the wave equation?

The exponential solution to the wave equation is a mathematical expression that describes the behavior of a wave over time. It is in the form of a complex exponential function and is derived from the wave equation, which is a partial differential equation that describes the propagation of a wave through a medium.

2. How is the exponential solution derived from the wave equation?

The exponential solution is derived by applying separation of variables to the wave equation, which involves separating the variables of time and space. This results in a general solution that can be written as a sum of complex exponential functions, each with a different frequency and amplitude.

3. What are the applications of the exponential solution to the wave equation?

The exponential solution is used in various fields of science and engineering, including acoustics, electromagnetics, and quantum mechanics. It is also essential in understanding the behavior of waves in different mediums and can be used to model and predict wave phenomena such as sound waves, electromagnetic waves, and quantum particles.

4. What are the advantages of using the exponential solution to the wave equation?

The exponential solution has several advantages, including its ability to accurately describe the behavior of waves in different mediums and its flexibility in modeling different types of waves. It also simplifies the mathematical calculations involved in solving the wave equation, making it a valuable tool for scientists and engineers.

5. Are there any limitations to the exponential solution to the wave equation?

The exponential solution assumes that the medium through which the wave is propagating is homogeneous and isotropic, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. Additionally, it does not take into account the effects of dispersion, dissipation, and nonlinearity, which can affect the behavior of waves. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider the assumptions and limitations of the exponential solution when applying it in different contexts.