Exponents with different bases

In summary, the conversation is about solving the equation 4^(x+2)=9 using logarithms. The best way to do so is to use the change-of-base formula and transform the equation into log form. The conversation also includes a discussion on addition and subtraction in exponents and the use of logarithms with different bases. One person suggests using the formula (log_b(x))/(log_b(a)) while another person suggests using a calculator to solve for x. The final solution given in the conversation, X=(log9/log4)-2 = log9-log4-2, is incorrect.
H0T_S0UP

Homework Statement

4^(x+2)=9

Homework Equations

basically all I want to know is what is the best way to go about solving a problem like this.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to convert a problem as such 4^(3x)=10 using. [log(<base>4,10)]/3 = X. however I need some help with addition and subtraction in exponents with one base equaling another number with a different base.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see what the problem is. I mean on the LHS you have factors of 2 and on the RHS you have factors of 3, so you really can't simplify further in a sense.

The best way to go is using logarithms. It should be clear you won't find a "nice" value for x (obviously no integer solutions).

H0T_S0UP said:

Homework Statement

4^(x+2)=9

Homework Equations

basically all I want to know is what is the best way to go about solving a problem like this.

I know how to convert a problem as such 4^(3x)=10 using. [log(<base>4,10)]/3 = X. however I need some help with addition and subtraction in exponents with one base equaling another number with a different base.

Well, as for the addition and subtraction, it seems you have the right idea by dividing that logarithm of base 4 by 3. It's the same idea, algebra is algebra. You can look at the log as a variable to help get your mind around it. (x+3 instead of log(<base>3,6)+3) And as for the different bases, there is a handy formula called the Change-of-Base formula! It will be your best friend with logarithms. Here is a quick copy and paste of it, you can find more if you search it using yahoo or google.

[tex]log_a(x)[/tex] can be converted to base 'b' by the formula
[tex](log_b(x))/(log_b(a))[/tex]

(sorry, not too familiar with LaTeX, but I hope you get the idea. As I said, you can just search for the formula. Best of luck!)

H0T_S0UP said:

Homework Statement

4^(x+2)=9

Homework Equations

It doesn't matter what base you use: if 4x+2= 9 then log(4x+2)= (x+2)log 4= log 9 where "log" can be to any base. I presume your calculator has both base 10 and natural logarithms so use those and solve for x.

Using logs I've found that X=(log9/log4)-2 = log9-log4-2. Is this correct?

No! your final statement

[tex]
\frac{\log 9}{\log 4} - 2 = \log 9 - \log 4 - 2
[/tex]

is not correct.

It is true that

[tex]
\log \left( \frac 9 4 \right) = \log 9 - \log 4
[/tex]

but that is not what your answer involves.

1. What are exponents with different bases?

Exponents with different bases are mathematical expressions that involve raising one number to the power of another number. The base represents the number being multiplied by itself, while the exponent represents the number of times the base is multiplied by itself.

2. How do you simplify exponents with different bases?

To simplify exponents with different bases, you can use the properties of exponents. If the bases are the same, you can add the exponents. If the exponents are the same, you can multiply the bases. If the bases and exponents are different, you can use the power rule to rewrite the expression as a single exponent.

3. How do you solve equations with exponents that have different bases?

To solve equations with exponents that have different bases, you can use the logarithm function. Take the logarithm of both sides of the equation and then use the power rule to rewrite the expression. This will allow you to solve for the variable.

4. What is the difference between exponents with different bases and exponents with the same base?

The main difference between exponents with different bases and exponents with the same base is that when the bases are different, the expression cannot be simplified to a single exponent. Additionally, when the bases are different, the value of the expression will be different depending on the values of the bases and exponents.

5. Why are exponents with different bases important in mathematics?

Exponents with different bases are important in mathematics because they allow us to represent repeated multiplication in a concise and efficient way. They also have many real-world applications, such as in calculating compound interest, radioactive decay, and population growth. Understanding exponents with different bases is crucial for solving more complex mathematical problems and for building a strong foundation in algebra and calculus.