Extraction Flash Calculation - 4 Component and 2 Phase System

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of performing extraction flash calculations for a 4 component and 2 phase system. The goal is to determine the equilibrium compositions of both phases, including the mole fraction of each component. This is done numerically until a convergence criterion is satisfied. The speaker suggests using 3 criteria for the 3 components in one phase, as the fourth component is automatically satisfied by mass balance. The continuity of the extraction flash is also questioned. Overall, the suggested approach is deemed appropriate.
Dario56
I am performing extraction flash calculations for 4 component and 2 phase system. For anyone somewhat shaky with what extraction flash calculation is; extraction is performed, feed composition is known and we are calculating compositions of both phases at equilibrium, mole fraction of every component in both phases as well as mole fraction of both phases.

This calculation is done numerically, until convergence criterion is satisfied. I know it is possible to take calculated mole fraction difference in two consecutive iterations as a convergence criterion, but I am not sure how many criteria I should apply in case of 4 component and 2 phase system?

I am thinking I need to apply 3 such criteria for 3 components in the system for one of the phases because mole fraction of 4th component is satisfied automatically by mass balance for the phase and mole fractions of components in other phase is satisfied automatically by phase equilibrium condition or mass balance for every component.

I am not sure if this is correct?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Is the extraction flash continuous?

In my judgment, the approach you recommended is fine.

Likes Dario56

1. What is extraction flash calculation?

Extraction flash calculation is a process used in chemical engineering to determine the equilibrium composition of a mixture of multiple components and phases, typically in the context of liquid-liquid extraction.

2. How does extraction flash calculation work?

The calculation involves using the material balance and equilibrium equations to solve for the unknown compositions of the components in each phase. This is typically done using a computer program or spreadsheet.

3. What is a 4 component and 2 phase system?

A 4 component and 2 phase system refers to a mixture of four different chemical components (such as solvents or solutes) and two distinct phases (such as a liquid and a gas) in which the components may partition between the phases based on their relative solubilities.

4. Why is extraction flash calculation important?

Extraction flash calculation is important because it allows engineers to predict the behavior of a mixture and optimize the separation process, ultimately leading to more efficient and cost-effective production methods.

5. What are some real-world applications of extraction flash calculation?

Extraction flash calculation is commonly used in industries such as pharmaceuticals, food processing, and petroleum refining to separate and purify desired components from mixtures. It is also used in environmental engineering for wastewater treatment and in research laboratories for analytical chemistry purposes.