Extrema of two-variable function in bounded region

In summary, you need to find the absolute maximum and minimum values of the function in the given region, and check to see if any of those points lie within the region.
xWaffle

Homework Statement

Find absolute maxima and minima of the function in the given region:

T(x,y) = x2 + xy + y2 - 6x

Region: Rectangular plate given by: 0 ≤ x ≤ 5, -3 ≤ y ≤ 3

Homework Equations

First derivative test, fx =0, fy = 0
Second derivative test, fxxfyy - fxy2 = ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I need to check the boundaries of the region, which would be four lines connecting the endpoints (0, -3), (0, 3), (5, -3), (5, 3).

Do I also need to check for extrema the normal way (i.e., not caring about the region) and then see if any of those points lie within the region..? I have a general idea of what I'm supposed to be doing but I'm not 100% sure.

Physics news on Phys.org

On the boundaries you need to find the extrema of a function of a single variable. Inside the rectangle you need to find the extrema of the full expression. So just find the zeroes of the gradient and check which of those are inside the rectangle.

It isn't really necessary to use the second derivative test since whether you have a local max or min is not relevant. Evaluate the function at all possible critical points and compare to see which is largest and which smallest.

You have shown that the partial derivatives are never 0 in the interior of the region so need to check on boundaries. Since this is a square you have four lines as boundary.

1) x= 0. [itex]f(0, y)= y^2[/itex]. Find critical points of that for y from -3 to 3.
2) x= 5. [itex]f(5, y)= 25+ 5y+ y^2- 30= y^2+ 5y- 5[/itex].
3) y= -3. [itex]f(x, -3)= x^2- 3x+ 9- 6x= x^2- 9x+ 9[/itex].
4) y= 3. [itex]f(x, 3)= x^3+ 3x+ 9- 6x= x^2- 3x+ 9[/itex].

And, of course, you will need to check boundaries of those: the corners, (0, -3), (0, 3), (5, -3), and (5, 3). Find the values of the functions at all the critical points and see which is largest and which smallest.

xWaffle said:

Homework Statement

Find absolute maxima and minima of the function in the given region:

T(x,y) = x2 + xy + y2 - 6x

Region: Rectangular plate given by: 0 ≤ x ≤ 5, -3 ≤ y ≤ 3

Homework Equations

First derivative test, fx =0, fy = 0
Second derivative test, fxxfyy - fxy2 = ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I need to check the boundaries of the region, which would be four lines connecting the endpoints (0, -3), (0, 3), (5, -3), (5, 3).

Do I also need to check for extrema the normal way (i.e., not caring about the region) and then see if any of those points lie within the region..? I have a general idea of what I'm supposed to be doing but I'm not 100% sure.

You also need to worry about the corners (0,-3), etc. A corner is a local minimum if the directional derivative of f is ≥ 0 for all directions pointing into the region (or along the boundary) from that corner, and it is a local max if the directional derivative is ≤ 0. (These tests are, essentially, what the so-called Karush-Kuhn-Tucker conditions are all about.)

RGV

1. What is an extrema of a two-variable function?

An extrema of a two-variable function is a point on the graph of the function where the function reaches its highest or lowest value. This can be a maximum or minimum value.

2. How can I determine the extrema of a two-variable function?

To determine the extrema of a two-variable function, you can use the first or second derivative test. The first derivative test involves finding critical points by setting the first derivative of the function to 0. Then, you can use the second derivative test to determine if these critical points are maximum or minimum values.

3. What is a bounded region in a two-variable function?

A bounded region in a two-variable function is a specific area on the graph of the function that is enclosed by a set of boundaries. These boundaries can be lines, curves, or other functions.

4. Why is it important to consider a bounded region when finding the extrema of a two-variable function?

Considering a bounded region helps to limit the scope of the function and make it easier to find the extrema. It also ensures that the extrema exist within a specific range of values.

5. Can a two-variable function have more than one extrema in a bounded region?

Yes, a two-variable function can have multiple extrema within a bounded region. These extrema can be either maximum or minimum values, and they can also be located at different points within the bounded region.