Extremely stupid question but i want to be 100% sure

• Thread starter groom03
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stupid
In summary, the conversation is about factorising the expression x^2+3x=2 and whether the answers (x+2)(x+1) and (x+1)(x+2) are the same. The expert explains that they are identical due to the commutative property of multiplication, where the order of multiplication does not matter. They also mention that some books may list the factors in increasing order. A potential typo in the original statement is also pointed out.
groom03

Homework Statement

factorise x^2+3x=2

Homework Equations

erm...

The Attempt at a Solution

(x+2)(x+1)

book says

(x+1)(x+2)

aren't those answers the same? i know it's a stupid question but i want to make sure I'm getting this right

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the answers are identical since the multiplication of real numbers is a commutative operation :approve:.

Hootenanny said:
commutative operation :approve:.

no idea what that means but thanks for your help

groom03 said:

2*5=5*2

groom03 said:
Look in the front cover or something, it's probably there ...

By defn of multiplication, you get the commutative property which states that a*b=b*a which tells you that the way you multiply two things has no order. So to answer your question yes, it does not matter which one comes first. Most books not all will list their answers in an increasing order, hence (x+1) comes before (x+2) because 2>1

I'm assuming there is a typo in your statement and that you meant x^2 + 3x + 2 , in which case the factors are (x+2)(x+1) or (x+1)(x+2). The equation x^2 + 3x = 2 would lead to very different factors...

dynamicsolo said:
I'm assuming there is a typo in your statement

yes... didn't notice that

FAQ: Extremely stupid question but i want to be 100% sure

1. What does the term "extremely stupid" mean in this context?

The term "extremely stupid" is used to describe a question that may seem obvious or simple, but the person asking wants to be absolutely sure of the answer.

2. Why would someone ask an "extremely stupid" question?

There are a variety of reasons why someone might ask an "extremely stupid" question. They may be new to a topic and want to make sure they understand it correctly, or they may have had conflicting information and want clarification.

3. Is there ever a reason to be afraid to ask an "extremely stupid" question?

No, there is never a reason to be afraid to ask a question, no matter how "stupid" it may seem. Asking questions is an important part of learning and understanding new concepts.

4. How can I make sure my question is not perceived as "extremely stupid"?

The best way to ensure your question is not perceived as "extremely stupid" is to do some research beforehand. This could involve looking up the answer online or asking someone who may have more knowledge on the topic. Also, try to frame your question in a way that shows you have put some thought into it.

5. Are there any benefits to asking "extremely stupid" questions?

Yes, there are many benefits to asking "extremely stupid" questions. It shows a willingness to learn and improve understanding, and it can also help others who may have had the same question but were afraid to ask. Asking questions can lead to a deeper understanding of a topic and can help spark further discussion and critical thinking.