Extremely Tedious Math/Statistics Homework Question

• Thread starter number0
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving a coin toss experiment where a coin with probability p of heads is tossed until the first head occurs, and then again until the first tail occurs. The total number of tosses required, X, is the sum of two random variables, X1 and X2. The PMF of X is calculated in part a) by plugging in values for X and the expected value and variance are found in part b) using the formula for the mean and variance of a sum of random variables.
number0

Homework Statement

A coin with probability p of heads is tossed until the first head occurs. It is then tossed again
until the first tail occurs. Let X be the total number of tosses required.

(a) Find the PMF of X.
(b) Find the mean and variance of X.

Homework Equations

PMF is basically a function that helps calculate all the probability of all the possible values x can take, P(X = x).

By "mean", I think my professor means the expected value of X. Here is a link to what expected value for discrete values is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expected_value#Discrete_random_variable.2C_finite_caseThe variance of X is given by the following formula listed in the link below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variance#Discrete_random_variable

The Attempt at a Solution

I apologize if I cannot post in latex format or any kind of format for that matter. Instead, I will upload my work onto paint.

Part a) was relatively straightforward. I plugged in values X = 0, X = 1 ... X = x and came up with a formula. For example, when X = 4 we have:

H H H T
T H H T
T T H T

The formula for Part a) is display in the file I uploaded. Part b) is the hard one. I know what formulas to use and how to set it up, but it seems like it is just too TEDIOUS to calculate. Letting Wolframalpha do the work for me, the expected value of X is 1/(p-p^2). I really want to understand how I am suppose to derive the E(X) and the Var(X) in a more simple manner. Furthermore, I am not so sure if the formula I used in Part a) could be much more simplified. Anyways, I would appreciate it if someone can help me on this problem.

Thank you for your time and response.

Attachments

• hw.jpg
    hw.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 402
Physics news on Phys.org
number0 said:

Homework Statement

A coin with probability p of heads is tossed until the first head occurs. It is then tossed again
until the first tail occurs. Let X be the total number of tosses required.

(a) Find the PMF of X.
(b) Find the mean and variance of X.

Homework Equations

PMF is basically a function that helps calculate all the probability of all the possible values x can take, P(X = x).

By "mean", I think my professor means the expected value of X. Here is a link to what expected value for discrete values is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expected_value#Discrete_random_variable.2C_finite_case

The variance of X is given by the following formula listed in the link below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variance#Discrete_random_variable

The Attempt at a Solution

I apologize if I cannot post in latex format or any kind of format for that matter. Instead, I will upload my work onto paint.

Part a) was relatively straightforward. I plugged in values X = 0, X = 1 ... X = x and came up with a formula. For example, when X = 4 we have:

H H H T
T H H T
T T H T

The formula for Part a) is display in the file I uploaded.

Part b) is the hard one. I know what formulas to use and how to set it up, but it seems like it is just too TEDIOUS to calculate. Letting Wolframalpha do the work for me, the expected value of X is 1/(p-p^2). I really want to understand how I am suppose to derive the E(X) and the Var(X) in a more simple manner. Furthermore, I am not so sure if the formula I used in Part a) could be much more simplified.

Anyways, I would appreciate it if someone can help me on this problem.

Thank you for your time and response.

Your statement "Part b) is the hard one" is exactly opposite to the truth. If X1 =number of tosses until the first H and then X2 = number of tosses until the first T, the total number is X = X1 + X2. Do you know how to find the mean and variance of a sum of random variables?

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
Your statement "Part b) is the hard one" is exactly opposite to the truth. If X1 =number of tosses until the first H and then X2 = number of tosses until the first T, the total number is X = X1 + X2. Do you know how to find the mean and variance of a sum of random variables?

RGV

Hmmm... I never thought to break up the problem into two. It should be much easier now. Thanks.

Related to Extremely Tedious Math/Statistics Homework Question

1. What is the purpose of "Extremely Tedious Math/Statistics Homework Question"?

The purpose of "Extremely Tedious Math/Statistics Homework Question" is to test your understanding and application of mathematical and statistical concepts. It is designed to challenge your problem-solving skills and critical thinking abilities.

2. How can I approach "Extremely Tedious Math/Statistics Homework Question" effectively?

To approach "Extremely Tedious Math/Statistics Homework Question" effectively, it is important to first understand the question and identify the key concepts involved. Then, break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and use appropriate mathematical or statistical techniques to solve each part. Finally, check your work and make sure your answers are logical and accurate.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving "Extremely Tedious Math/Statistics Homework Question"?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving "Extremely Tedious Math/Statistics Homework Question" include not fully understanding the question, using incorrect formulas or methods, and making computational errors. It is important to carefully read and comprehend the question, double-check your work, and use appropriate techniques to solve the problem.

4. How can I improve my performance on "Extremely Tedious Math/Statistics Homework Question"?

To improve your performance on "Extremely Tedious Math/Statistics Homework Question", it is crucial to practice regularly and seek help from your teacher or peers if needed. You can also review class notes and textbooks to reinforce your understanding of key concepts and techniques. Additionally, breaking down the problem into smaller parts and using visualization or real-life examples can also improve your problem-solving skills.

5. What are the benefits of completing "Extremely Tedious Math/Statistics Homework Question"?

Completing "Extremely Tedious Math/Statistics Homework Question" can provide numerous benefits, including improving your understanding and retention of mathematical and statistical concepts, developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and preparing you for exams and future academic or professional endeavors. It also allows you to track your progress and identify areas for improvement.